Cultus Dispatches: Fandom Voices - Filmverse Fans

Fandom Voices - Filmverse Fans

This month's Cultus Dispatches column wraps up our four-part series on the impact of the films on the Tolkien fandom. This month's article, Fandom Voices: Filmverse Fans, compiles the responses of more than thirty fans who joined the Tolkien fandom entirely or partly due to the two Jackson film trilogies. As in all Fandom Voices columns, several big takeaways are presented, but we also provide the complete responses so that you can draw your own conclusions.

How do film fans define the impact of the films on their own fandom experience? Three major effects emerged from the responses we collected. The films often led fans to seek out (or sometimes accidentally discover) the fandom. From there, they formed important friendships. And, as we've now reported through multiple Cultus columns, the films encourage new fans to read the books.

Finally, if you missed the original call for responses, you are not too late: Fandom Voices forms always remain open. If you joined the fandom because of the films and want to respond, you can do so here.


Posted on 27 August 2022 (updated 24 September 2022) by SWG Moderators