Earendil the Seafarer by Himring

| | |

Earendil the Seafarer


The winter had been hard, with bitter northern winds and lean weeks, starvation barely avoided. Yet for Elwing, it was a bright time, even in the dark days of long snow storms in which the sun was almost forgotten, for Earendil was home and his company kept her warm, more than the dwindling fire on the hearth.

But when the winter had passed and they had at last replenished their stores with a goodly haul of fish in calmer waters, she found him by the sea’s brim, looking over Vingilot for winter damage, and already there gleamed a familiar restlessness in his eyes.

Then Elwing seized his elbow and said:
Flowers in fields fresh now with spring,
blossom on bough brighter in town,
now the cuckoo calls clear in the woods,
at last on land life quickens,
gladness renewed in Nimbrethil!
Delay your departure, dearest love!

Earendil turned to her regretfully and answered:
Loud the cuckoo calls from the bough,
a warning to us that winter is over
and loss of life on land threatens.
Time for travel, though toilsome it seems.

‘Elwing, each year, our Enemy encroaches more on whatever land is still left to Elves and Men. Soon his minions will be on the move again. I must go seeking aid, before He reaches the Havens at last, now the sea paths are clearing and I can hope not to sail straight into ice and gale.’

‘You do not deceive me,’ said Elwing, ‘I can see that the sea longing has you and you welcome all that toil. How eager you are to start out again on your journeys! But I am the one who must stay and the wait on land will be a long one again.’

Earendil admitted:
I crave to depart on the paths of Ulmo,
eager in my heart to hear the wave-toss,
where the gannet cries, the gull and the curlew,
much I as I miss you when miles out to sea.

‘Well, then’, said Elwing, ‘take care you return to me or I swear I will follow, even if I have to walk over the waves to fetch you, no matter who stands in my way.’

‘I always will,’ promised Earendil.

And they embraced, the two of them, by the sea shore.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment