Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh wow on several levels:

  • The scheming.... of Galadriel and Gil both.
    And they had the audacity to worry/ blame the remnants of Doriath of being "with political ambitions... not necessarily in her charge’s best interests"?
  • Gil's perceptiveness all over the various scenes, starting from observing Elwing, all the way to understanding Galadriel, who is shown here in all her "glory" manipulativeness.
  • His compassion as well as his shrewdness.
  • The humorous tone that accompanied the "heroes" thoughts, mainly that of Gil.

At the end of the day, it seems that Círdan was right to consider Gil as a Noldo, even with his Sindar upbringing and mother....

This is a well done "how it may have happened" filler story. How Elwing and Eärendil found their way to one another.

Gil's last thought could be interpreted as premonition, or maybe just an author's hint of a sequel....

Gil is pure Noldor where it counts, yes. I think there must have been days when Cirdan felt a little disappointment *g*. Earendil and Elwing - it just seems too neat and tidy to have been a chance love match. I mean, the only two royal children in Sirion who also happen to be the only half-elven children - I don't think people could have resisted pushing them together to see what happened. And it would be a Noldor thing to consider Elwing's Silmaril in the equation. The more I write about that poor child, the more angry I get on her behalf. Though the uncharitable thughts about the surviving nobles from Doriath were fair enough - neither in this piece nor in the previous one, Season of Hope, has anyone over there seemed to be looking out for her either.

And Galadriel is Galadriel. She can't really stop herself *g*. Someone on MPTT thought for a bit that she was hinting Gil should offer for Elwing himself, which is a stunning bunny I refuse to go near.... I can so see her doing it.

There's probably a sequel, yes :( I keep going back here. Red keeps saying there's a long story if I'd just sit down and write the thing. I rather like just going back now and again because writing anything set during Gil's days on Balar is kind of a guilty pleasure.

Thank you so much, Scarlet *hugs*

You have really got me thinking now- just started reading Gil-Galad fics- and you are what has got me doing that. I wa slooking for Glorfindel first, read a few short pieces- yours are certainly among the best and most thoughtful- then this. Really really intersting- and of course Maedhros and Maglor are still out there somewhere. Wonderful use of a family Yule= your Galadriel is drawing me in too and I have never found her particualry appealing. She is wonderful, true to canon and fascinating!

I love Galadriel the way she appears in the Silm - ambitous, curious, ready for adventure - and writing her is always good. Gil-galad though is 'my elf'. That happened by chance - I had him as a character in a swap fic years ago, later expanded that little fic into Even Quicker than Doubt, and he's still the person I most like writing about. I'm --- trying to find the word here - utterly, uttterly thrilled that you liked this story and that it got you looking for more Gil (also thank you so much for the compliment on the Glorfindel stories, I really appreciate that)

I like your description of Gil-galad's financial problems due to having to run a war band, as well as his being imaginative when it came to giving gifts. That fits the time: they didn't have a lot of resources of any kind.