and death was his reward by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

The major character death implied: Fingon's canonical death in the Fifth Battle of Beleriand is not actually described.

The Tolkien100 prompt was: Do all plans have to include an element of suicidal risk?

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Once again, Fingon has leapt in to rescue somebody at personal cost.
Turgon retreats to the greater safety of the secret city of Gondolin, from which he re-emerges to try and save his brother—and fails.

Major Characters: Fingon, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 100
Posted on 3 June 2023 Updated on 3 June 2023

This fanwork is complete.

and death was his reward

Read and death was his reward

‘Do all your plans have to include suicidal risk?’ Turgon demanded.

Valiant as ever, Fingon smiled, despite his pallor.

‘Thank you for assuming there was a plan. Father accused me of not thinking at all before I leap...’

‘I can see why he might.’

‘We are here. Just being in Beleriand is a suicidal risk.’

‘I have not forgotten.’

Their eyes met across a gulf of…oh, so many things.

‘But do you absolutely have to embrace it?’

Finally, after the endless retreat, Turgon was alone. He shut his eyes, hitting the wall with his fist until his knuckles bled.


Chapter End Notes

The title is from a quotation in History of Middle-earth that refers to Fingon's death.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.