A Morsel of Food or Two by Himring

| | |

Cheese-wright of Gondor

Who made the "good red cheese" that Frodo and Sam ate in Henneth Annun?

Reference to canonical character death; grief.


On Forlong's estate in Lossarnach, she makes cheese. The days are dark, the shadows of war deepen, but people still need food, soldiers rations, so she continues to add rennet to curdle the milk, salting the curds and pressing them into their mould. Her cheeses are eaten by Forlong himself, served by Targon in the Citadel, shared by Faramir with men and guests from afar.

On the day the War ends, she will stand, her fingers dripping with whey, weeping tears of joy mingled with tears of grief for her lord, hewed unhorsed by axes on the Pelennor Fields.


Chapter End Notes

The prompt was "Cheese", accompanied with the quotation about "good red cheese" in Henneth Annun. I connected it with another mention of Gondorian cheese and filled in a bit of background.

I imagine Forlong was partial to a bit of nice cheese, given his girth. I also think Lossarnach probably paid part of its taxes to Minas Tirith directly in food supplies, being so close to the City.

100 Words according to Notepad Classic.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment