The Wave Warbled Under by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is a crossover with the poem The Sea Singer, by Alfred Percival Graves (1913; link to text at the Poetry Foundation website).

For the purposes of the crossover, I decided to interpret the incident described as an event during one of Earendil's voyages to seek Valinor.

No warnings for content of the ficlet itself, but reference is made to canon-typical deaths in First Age Beleriand.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Aerandir, a mariner who accompanied Earendil on his voyages, finds himself at loose ends when he arrives in Valinor after the War of Wrath. 

He is haunted by an encounter during one of their earlier voyages and comes to a decision..

Major Characters: Other Fictional Character(s), Aerandir, Erellont

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Crossover, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Crossroads of the Fallen King

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 336
Posted on 15 June 2024 Updated on 16 June 2024

This fanwork is complete.

The Wave Warbled Under

Read The Wave Warbled Under

‘You really are going?’ asks Erellont.

But she knows the answer. On their travels with Earendil, where they faced so many unfamiliar beings and things never seen before, Aerandir always reacted with fascination rather than panic—so much so at times that they had to pull him to safety because he was lost in admiration.

And Aerandir has no connections on Tol Eressea except for Erellont. He was born in Beleriand, lost family and friends over there and, as far as he knows, has no relatives in Valinor, not even distant ones, like Erellont, who is only just getting to know hers.

Erellont wishes she did not need to handle this alone. But Falathar decided to remain behind in Middle-earth. And Earendil is no doubt keeping watch over his companions of many voyages from above on Vingilot, but is mostly out of reach, except for occasional messages.

It is no wonder, really, that Aerandir is so set on his quest to try and find the Sea Singer again, whose song turned them back once when they tried to make their way to Valinor from the South. Foolhardy voyages are so much more familiar to him than this land they were supposed to be seeking.

Erellont sighs.

‘All right. Give me three weeks to get ready.’

‘You need not…’

‘Of course I am coming with you.’

Aerandir knows not to argue with Erellont.

*

Truth told, Erellont did not think they would succeed in finding the Sea Singer. They were already lost, when they encountered her, and even more lost after she was done with them. But this time the sea paths are open to them. It does not even take that long…

The Sea Singer’s song swells all around them and it is as breathtaking, enchanting, as it was before. When it ebbs, Erellont blinks. The Oarni is still there. She is smiling!

‘A merrier meeting, this time, fair mariners!’

Erellont looks sideways at Aerandir’s rapt face and realizes she will be returning alone.


Chapter End Notes

Also written for the tolkienshortfanworks challenge for June: 333 words as counted by MS Word, according to the tolkienshortfanworks prompt.

The title is taken from the poem.

Originally inspired by a rec list of poems for Mermay published by the online magazine reactor, which included Graves' poem, but in the end I did not manage to write and post it in May.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love female Erellont, that's such a good idea! This has a very melancholy and mythical vibe. I had not read the poem before and this prompted me to go looking... you've created an original and, I think, successful fusion!