Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you!

Nah, I don't mind explaining. Spoilers are for things I haven't posted yet; I figure if someone reads the comments that spoilers for the fic are a given.

I'm assuming you mean the bit with the eagle? Slightly earlier in the story, Maglor says that there has never been any sign from the Valar that they ended his exile. The eagle is that sign-- it's one of Manwë's eagles, sized now to be unobtrusive in the modern world. It gets Maglor's attention and then disappears into the Straight Road to let him know to come home.

Got it! Oh, I am slow on the uptake! Of course, that's what it means. I really, really love this story. You scared me with the warnings. I delayed reading it for a while. Afraid it would be too explicit for my taste, but it was just right. Enough menace without making it difficult to stomach. (And it reminded me a lot of being stuck in the hospital for four days of tests a couple of years ago! That's horrifying enough, including the reluctance to tell a person what they are doing and why!)

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome!

Thank you for giving the story a chance! I figured I'd turned a lot of people away with the warning, but Elleth didn't want it too graphic. So I'm glad that you also found the balance between implication and detail satisfactory. (Yeah, information is necessary! Tell me what you're doing and why and I'll quit worrying about it!)