Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Rover is a great name, thank you very much! ;) I really like Salmë; she sounds wonderful. A former spy-master, and now second-in-command - and a potter (or painter)? Sign me up! Good advice from her, too.

I do hope Maglor will be able to patch things up with Mithrandir. Somehow I don't think the old wizard was as hostile towards Maglor as Maglor seemed to think...

Indeed! I'm kinda poking fun at myself with that, actually; Narya dared me to name him Rover and he will be. If I can find a variant that isn't "Randir."

I knew Salmë was a potter (and very firm on her nickname being Sal)-- this scene has been in my head nearly since I began the 'verse-- but the spy-master bit was a surprise.

Mithrandir was absolutely not as hostile as Maglor assumed, but it's difficult to show that from a limited POV. The next fic will have to be from a different perspective, I think.

I really enjoyed the meeting with the puppies and with Salme. They have personality, Salme, and also Maglor's new dog! I hope to see more of both.

I suspect Gandalf intentionally saved Maglor from an unpleasant scene, there, in the Hall of Fire. Maybe the two will understand each other better in time.

Concerning the name: Well, instead of Sindarin, you could go for Quenya! The Quenya equivalent of randír appears to be rána - wayward, wanderer - which also happens to be a by-name of the moon. So if you're inclined to pun, Maglor could name the dog Isil (or Ithil in Sindarin), Moon, with the connotation of erratic wandering. (Although I am now tempted to make Moon Moon jokes!) -- You could also tack -rain "erratic wandering" to a Sindarin word of your choice, such as "dog"?

I think the limitations of the perspective are fine - Maglor can't know everything, and he's doubtlessly unused to understanding people's motives after such a long time on his own - but of course I can't help speculating about the motivations of the other characters. ^^ Though a chapter from Elrond's, Gandalf's or Salmë's perspective would doubtlessly be cool!