Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Coming fresh off a re-read of Books IV and V in Paradise Lost (I can read Milton again and again), this wonderful poem, albeit in a different form, didn't miss a beat as my mind shifted from Lucifer to Melkor.  Really beautiful work, Dawn.  Not only does the heart of the poem beat with well-chosen words (oh, I bow to you here, yes, I do) and the captivating rhythm of the rise, but its blood also rushes with verses ablaze with the power of a dark god toying with a king soon to fall.

An extraordinary work!  Brava!

Thank you, Pandemonium! I was definitely going for that archaic feel with this; I was particularly inspired by Pound\'s Sestina: Altaforte (loathe his politics but *OME* his poetry ...) You\'re the second person in a month to praise the word choice in one of my poems; I\'m starting to get a big head! ;) And the meter ... I often feel like I fail with iambic pentameter. I don\'t yet think in iambic pentameter (I can think in iambic tetrameter, as you know! :D) but I\'m glad the rhythm worked here for you. Part of me doesn\'t think that perfect iambic pentameter would really express what I want to say anyway (and if that sounds like an excuse, maybe it is! ;)

But thank you, thank you again for reading and reviewing this. Poetry never gets reviewed very well, so I am treasuring each of your words here! :D

I'm not much of a poetry person, but I gave this a try and liked how you portrayed Melkor and Finwë's confrontation.  This line is my favorite: 

"In Fëanor's heart, already did I rise; In Fingolfin's too...My name pounds in your gentle last-born's blood!"