Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thrilled to see this posted here, because for me this is Fingon/Maedhros required reading, although actually the protagonist is an OC. It works and couldn't work if you did not love Fingon and Maedhros. Anyway, wrote an essay for the MEFAs on this, so am pasting it here where it would be more readily available. I adore this story is my bottom line:

Anyone out there in love with Maedhros and Fingon? If so, this is a must read. Well, even if you aren't, I still highly recommend this story. It's hard not to become engaged with it—it is smart and tender and beautifully written and constructed. First, it pushes all the buttons for Silmarillion lovers by including two of the most compelling canon characters, but approaches them from the point of view of a truly well-conceived and sympathetic original character.

In some ways this story is closer to original fiction that fanfic, but has all the necessary ingredients to draw a fannish audience. This is a modern-day AU which explores the interesting trope of how someone would likely react if they met a hot, attractive member of the Eldar in their day-to-day life. Suppose that person were young and rather vulnerable and the Noldo involved were someone who shared his interests and found our original character to be more than a little attractive—not surprisingly either because the writer has created an extremely charming young man .

This is romance, with humor and a dash of cynicism, and always the threat of heartbreak; one can hope, but never expects for a minute that we have a guaranteed happy ending here. One does figure if it ends badly for our young hero that this writer will pull on our heart strings in the most deliciously painful way imaginable. Note to self: if one is writing for a bunch of writers, try setting at least a significant part of the story in a bookstore! Big plus! It does not hurt to give the reader a haunting theme song either. (I had to look this one up, but once I did it hooked me! And I listened to it over and over.)

My favorite quotation:

[“Does he make you feel like you’re the centre of his world?”

Lewis was stunned and could only nod his head.

“Findekáno,” whispered the stranger. “No more.”]

You had me from the first few lines, but that bit completely finished me off. Every time I think of this story, I think of [“Does he make you feel like you’re the centre of his world?”]

Did I say this is a classic? Yes. Well, it definitely is on my list of Silm fics everyone should read.