The Accidental King: Five Reasons Why Finarfin Deserves More Appreciation


Hi!

This is definitely a well-researched and passionate defense of the only King of the Noldor who was not killed by some Big and Nasty Supernatural Being In Black (TM)! I am admired at how you managed to avoid turning this into a soulless compilation of quotes, but gave it acumen and a sense of real involvement. This is so rare in essays nowadays.

Hmh... and it made me think, too. Sometimes, fanfiction trends are such capricious things. The obvious reason why Finarfin is ignored would be that he does not do much in canon, but there are other characters who do even less (Erestor comes to my mind, not to mention the sons of Elrond) and yet have an enormous fan base. Maybe it´s the context: a Third Age Elf lover does not have much to choose from, while a First Age Elf lover has plenty of chances to be dazzled enough by more prominent characters to worry about secondaries.

As for Tolkien´s Finarfin´s exalted position in the tale, there is little I could agree more heartily with. Do not forget, too, that he changed Gil-galad´s genealogy and made him a Finarfinian, probably just to show that kingship had finally passed to the least "marred" of the houses of the Noldor. (Have you read Vorondis´s essay: Parentage of Gil-galad: A Textual History? http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?stid=2448. She elaborates also on the established Western fairytale pattern of the last son proving himself the worthiest and getting everything in the end.)

Months ago, too, as I was compiling material for an essay I intend to write one day (to refute the opinion of several Tolkien scholars that Tolkien´s myth has nothing to do with Graecorroman myth)), I thought for a moment to establish a relationship between the three sons of Finwë and the Platonic three kinds of men (the rulers, the warriors and the artisans/producers). Inmediately, I realised I was rather off the mark in my purpose, because this division is common to other Indoeuropean cultures, not only to Greece, but the fact remains that Finarfin represents, once more, the worthiest of the three. And, point b), he was the only one who fulfilled his appointed task sucessfully: Fëanor (the artisan/producer) became too attached to his production and fell to his doom, and Fingolfin, as a warrior, showed an instance of very serious lack of good judgement and got killed as a result. While Finarfin lives happily ever after -well, sort of.

There is one issue I´d want to comment, though. The primacy of Finarfin in purely formal terms having been established, I think that there is a small indice of something *else*, too, especially in Tolkien´s treatment of his children. I agree with you that, in Tolkien´s mythical universe, children share more with their parents than just genes, and that the deeds of the children are supposed to reflect on the father. I also agree that Galadriel´s prudent bravery is meant to contrast with Aredhel´s recklessness (as Shippey said), and that while Fingon (and Maedhros) died in vain and in a very like way as their fathers, Finrod´s death was what allowed the fulfillment of the doom of Lúthien and Beren. There is high symbolism there. But on the other hand, it seems as if Tolkien was also trying to show that there is a thin line between prudence and weakness in the house of Finarfin. Aegnor´s excessive prudence doomed his love and wrecked the first oportunity of an Elf-Man union, which contrasts with the brave and quick acceptance of Tuor by Fingolfin´s granddaughter. Orodreth is plainly weak and useless, like a caricature of Finarfin. Angrod and Finduilas do not get a kindly treatment, either, and Finarfin himself disappears soon from the story and does not get much attention. I think this could reflect an ambiguity of some sort in Tolkien´s mind - as if he was torn between what *should* be morally higher (Finarfin´s prudence) and what really stirred his heart (the greatness of Fëanor´s Tragic Flaw and Fingolfin´s heroics).

And I wonder: maybe that could have something to do with the reason why Finarfin is not much loved by fandom writers and readers? An author may follow a conscious purpose in his writing, yet if his heart tells him otherwise, in spite of himself, the readers will eventually perceive it. As a reader, I feel a bit of a lack of enthusiasm in the characterisation of most of the House of Finarfin, even if formally they are undoubtedly the highest ranking.

Just my -hundred cents on the subject. Oops. :(

Maeve

 

Hi, Maeve!
Thank you for such a fantastic comment on my essay! Your \"hundred cents\" made for fascinating reading, and you address so many good points.

I\'d never considered the change of Gil-galad\'s parentage as indicative of Tolkien\'s placement of the House of Finarfin higher than the others, but this makes a lot of sense. (I will also check out Vorondis\'s essay; I\'ve been meaning to read it for some time now and you\'ve given me a good reason to!) Honestly, I\'m guilty of not considering Gil-galad much at all. I guess I\'m just as guilty as those who neglect Finarfin in that. :) But taking Orodreth as G-g\'s rather does show a really remarkable shift of power from the House of Feanor to Fingolfin--preceded by the foolish acts of their respective kings--to the House of Finarfin. So the House of Finarfin--the most unlikely of leaders--rule the Noldor in both Aman and Middle-earth.

You bring up an excellent point about the moral superiority of the House of Finarfin versus the passion and intrigue of the Houses of Feanor and Fingolfin. I know that personally, as a reader and a writer, I am always draw to the characters who show a great deal of moral complexity. I was drawn to Maedhros from the start, and an obsession with Feanor quickly followed. I\'ve written a half-million words (or very close to it!) about the House of Feanor but precious little about Finarfin. So even as I gripe that he is ignored by the fanfic masses, I\'m really no better.

And in talking to most other fan writers, it seems that they--like me--are drawn to the \"bad boys.\" It\'s a fun challenge to peel away the layers of a \"bad\" character to find his motivations, to understand *why* he chose the paths that he chose. Finarfin doesn\'t pose that sort of challenge ... on the surface. Though at the time of the Noldorin rebellion, 90% of the Noldor left Aman, and public opinion about Finarfin--as one who stayed behind--could not have been good. By the thoughts of the time, his actions were quite deplorable; it must have taken a great amount of strength to hold his course. After all, he was refusing a mission to avenge his father\'s murder and an attack on his people. To draw a modern parallel, I remember the scorn given to people in the U.S. following 9/11 who advocated prudence and diplomacy rather than hastily making war on our attackers. I\'d imagine that Finarfin faced much of the same, so as an author, I\'ve found a challenge in that: how he made this difficult and certainly unpopular decision and, perhaps more importantly, lived with himself for it.

Still, Maedhros, Feanor, and Fingon will be the more romantic characters to authors, and I count myself in that too. I protest less *ignoring* Finarfin than mistreating him in fanfic ... he wasn\'t a wimp! And he certainly has potential for stories, it just takes a bit of digging to get to it.

On your essay-in-progress ... it sounds fascinating! I look forward to reading it ... and don\'t forget that we have a whole Reference section here, and we\'re always looking for essays. ;)

Thanks again for the thought-provoking comment! All the best,
Dawn

I know this story is old, Dawn, but it's always been thought-provoking for me.

Personally I see Finarfin as Indis' son more than Finwë's, and Orodreth's father more than Finrod's or Aegnor's or Angrod's or Galadriel's.  Avoiding the disastrous outcomes that bolder people are willing to risk is not quite the same as being wise.  Abandoning one's family in their time of need, and returning to (at least relative) safety just as they're going into grave danger, even if they're wrong, is about as cowardly as one can get.  Waiting to go to war until the Valar sanction it (--after-- most of your family and folk have already been killed by the enemy) is an act of a prudent man, but not an admirable one.  And so on ;0

Aaaahhh I'm so glad this was shared with me tonight - I love Finarfin for so many of the reasons stated here!  💖  He *is* underappreciated for being calm and quiet rather than rash and outrageous - and maybe even the introvert of the family (we're so used to being overlooked!)

Just recently I've been mulling over the First Kinslaying and it's aftermath, and one thing that has no actual support but kind of has the right *feels* is Finarfin not turning back after the kinslaying because he still feels constrained by his duty to follow his family, but turning back after the Doom was pronounced because that's when he realized he might never again see his wife and that thought just makes me go completely 🥺 (especially if it takes a long time for her to forgive him)