Taking Readings I by Himring

| | |

The Unnamed Dead

Sindar that were killed by Morgoth and his armies in Beleriand stream into the Halls of Mandos.

Warning for multiple character death (see title and summary), but no explicit gore.


I was washing clothes in the shallows of the Thalos when the orcs came. How the starlight glittered on the water! After, it was stained with red.

I had only just re-potted a rose. They broke, rose and pot.

They flocked to my inn to discuss the news. Hard times, they said. Then the inn burned.

I won't finish the cloak I was making nor get a carpenter to repair the shattered loom.

I was apprenticed to a smith, but he did not teach me to make swords or shields. I taught myself that, quickly.

We were halfway through the field reaping barley, the Noldo and I. The orcs trampled the rest.

I made the best fish soup in Brithombar! Now fish only eat in Brithombar.

We have all heard of the Prophecy of the North and the Doom of the Noldor. But, Namo, tell us, why are we here?


Chapter End Notes

Written for the Unsung Heroes prompts at Tolkien Weekly: Gardener, Farmer, Innkeeper, Carpenter, Cook, Blacksmith, Weaver, Laundry-maid

These were drabble prompts, but this is 150 words by the word count tool I was using.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment