Sundry Apocrypha by Huinare

| | |

Hodhë and the Mithril Arrow

The Darkening of Valinor meets the Norse myth of Höðr.

[Written for B2MeM 2012: Thurs 8 Mar.  BINGO # N41.
Prompt: “…a mythological story” (Crossover 1).]

 

––––––––-–starring––––––––--

Loki as MELKOR
Frigg as VARDA
Odin as MANWË
Váli as EÖNWË

––––––-–––featuring–––-––––––
Baldr as HIMSELF a.k.a. VALDË
Höðr as HIMSELF a.k.a. HODHË

–––––––––-–with––––––––––––
The Mistletoe as MITHRIL


Now once the abode of the Gods was made behind the mountains under the light of the World Trees, they were well pleased, for Melkor could work no mischief by his own hand in that light.  And there was in those days the sound of music and bells, and all save Melkor were content.  Yet he thought that he might in the fullness of time contrive some way to mar the bliss of the Gods.  And so he dissembled and laughed in his heart, ever looking out for his hour.

The first time the World Trees bore fruit, one fruit of each split open on the ground and two new Gods stepped out of the fruits full grown.  Their names were Valdë and Hodhë.  Both were strong and fair, and they looked much alike.  Yet Hodhë who was born from the Silver Tree was blind, and the Gods did not know why this should be.  Because they had no answer to this question of Hodhë’s blindness they paid little heed to him, and he grew solemn and walked often alone in Lórien with his stick to find his way.

But Valdë who was born from the Golden Tree was beloved among the Gods.  Varda demanded from all in that land their oath that they would never harm Valdë.  And even Melkor spoke this oath, for the light in the eyes of Varda was not to be withstood, but his hidden malice consumed him the more, bent now on Valdë. 

There was one thing only which swore no oath, and that was mithril, for mithril is the strongest substance and will not be ruled in any matter.  Even Varda could not compel it.  Therefore mithril alone could harm Valdë.

It came to pass that, for sport and to honor Varda with demonstrations of their oaths, the Gods would gather in the field outside of Valimar’s great gate, and they would throw stones and weapons at Valdë.  He took never any harm from these games, for not quartz nor granite nor steel nor bronze could touch him.  None ever brought mithril onto the field during the hour of the Gods’ sport.

Melkor saw now that he might fulfill his malice.  Therefore he wrought him an arrow with a mithril tip, but he rubbed dirt upon it to conceal its shining.  Then he went abroad carrying his quiver and he found Hodhë near the river with his walking stick.

Melkor spoke unto Hodhë, “Why comest thou never to the field where the Gods all gather for their sport?  Art thou not also one of the Gods?”

“Verily,” Hodhë answered him, “yet none mark me because I am blind.  They seek not my counsel nor company, and neither seek I theirs.  Besides, they have taken to shooting at my brother Valdë, and I cannot see to shoot.”

Melkor said, “O Hodhë, I deem it unjust that blindness should keep thee from the company of thy peers.  Thy mind and thy voice are as good as theirs, is it not so?  If thy wish is to shoot at thy brother as do the rest of them, I will help thee.”

And so Melkor led Hodhë to the field where the Gods were slinging stones and arrows at Valdë, and Valdë laughed as the objects all turned aside or glanced off of his body.  From his quiver Melkor took the mithril arrow, and he placed his own bow in Hodhë’s hands.  When Hodhë aimed the arrow at his brother, it was with the aide of Melkor.  Yet when Hodhë loosed the arrow, Melkor stepped back and laughed aloud, for it flew fast and true into the heart of Valdë.  At once Valdë fell dead, and a great noise of weeping and wrath arose among the Gods. 

Melkor fled laughing before any could stay him, and the wrath of Manwë and Varda turned upon Hodhë.  They ordered Eönwë to slay Hodhë immediately, and Eönwë pulled the mithril arrow from Valdë’s body.  He walked to where Hodhë stood bewildered, seized him by the shoulder, and drove the arrow into his breast like a dagger.

But the Gods saw that they had done ill to let the two brothers be slain, the one by their folly and the other by their vengeance, for the two World Trees at once began to sicken and wither.  The Trees within the hour dried up and died, and the lands were in darkness, and Melkor was free to do as he would.

It is told that the spirit of Hodhë must dwell within the halls of Námo, but none know whither the spirit of Valdë departed to.  Some hold that the brothers shall not meet again until the Dagor Dagorath befalls, when Hodhë shall come forth from the Halls leading the Firstborn, and Valdë shall return from beyond the World leading the Secondborn.  Then they will fight alongside one another to aide in the downfall of Melkor, their great enemy.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment