Fallen Twilight by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for my friend Emma's prompt "Promises".

Fanwork Information

Summary:

(No, not *that* kind of Twilight! xD) 

A mother and son do their best to escape from an abusive household and run to a place of safety. But will they be quick enough to escape their vengeful father and husband? Triple drabble and a half.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 350
Posted on 4 March 2014 Updated on 4 March 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Fallen Twilight

I didn't select character names because the surprise is the whole point of the story, but there are no OC's. :)

Read Fallen Twilight

“Do you promise?”

“I promise, yonya.” She sighed quietly, looking down into her handsome son’s face. He had grown from an elfling into a young ellon she could be proud of, one who deserved so much more than what his father could give them. “We are going home, and you will be safe there. Come, we must go before your atto comes back. Bring the sword.”

He nodded dutifully, fetching Anguirel from its hiding place. His atto thought he hid the sword well, but in truth it was in plain sight for him to see. Perhaps his atto had named him more rightly than he had thought. He brought the sword to his ammë, and together they set off into the twilit woods. He was eighty now; well old enough to leave his parents’ house, or at least his father’s rule, he thought to himself. It was glad news that his mother had finally grown discontent with her foolish husband, and seen fit to bring him away.

“Come, Lómion, we must not let your atto catch us,” she called softly, and he quickened his steps, following her unerring path through the woods, clutching Anguirel for all he was worth as she bore the haversack with their meager provisions. Her brother would feast them well upon their coming, she had promised him; he would be glad to see his sister again, and his sister-son. Lómion would be his uncle’s heir, for his uncle had a daughter only. She had promised him this.

Lómion smiled to himself, thinking of his ammë’s many promises. As they reached the gates, she made him another one.

“Fear not, yonya. I will defend you with my life; you have naught to fear if your atto should pursue us.”

Only her last promise proved true, and Maeglin son of Eöl and Aredhel had to watch as his beloved ammë was cut down before his eyes. With her death, the part of him that was Lómion died, too, and when his father was cast from the heights of Gondolin, Maeglin was glad of it. “Ammë, you are avenged.”


Chapter End Notes

ammë - Q. "mum"

atto - Q. "dad"

yonya - Q. "my son"


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Beautifully written! I think you have made Maeglin a very sympathetic character and I've always thought he had this capability in him.  My loyalties usually lie with Aredhel from this family but I've never attempted to write Maeglin (yet). Not thoroughly anyway. I really enjoyed reading this. :)