Quenya Names: First Aid by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Please note: this is not an official list!

This is a quick help list only, with no claim to canonical authority, compiled in haste for any new readers who might need help during the ongoing Silmarillion40.
I have read most of the canonical sources containing this material at some time or other (many of the names of the Noldor are discussed in "The Shibboleth of Fëanor" in Peoples of Middle-earth). But what I've actually used here is the "Quenya names" links page on Tolkien Gateway and the linked entries.
Suggestions for corrections and additions welcome, but please don't cite any of this as canonical without checking it first or shoot me for any error you may find.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A quick and dirty compilation of Quenya names used in fan fiction and their meanings, for readers who are having problems with working out who is who in fic.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Nonfiction/Meta

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 685
Posted on 1 October 2017 Updated on 1 October 2017

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


You're not the only one who has used Quenya names and I don't think you'll be the last!

It can be difficult, sometimes, for readers unfamiliar with them to imagine that sometimes, for the writer, the fic doesn't work without them, because they just don't sound right, for the characters at that point in the narrative.

And for writers, it can be difficult to remember that not all readers work out quickly that those names do have a basis in canon (in HoME) and that there are online reference works like Tolkien Gateway in which they are quite thoroughly covered.

Anyway, I hope this list will help a bit!

What a great idea! Thank you for looking/writing this all up.

What might be useful is to note that C and K actually denote the same sound (which is why Tolkien uses them interchangeably, of course), since there still seems to be some confusion about that - not so much in this list, but in Quenya studies in general.

Aracáno could also be Argon, no? (glossed as 'noble gas' -- now I'm just being silly. I'll shut up now!)