Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


You're not the only one who has used Quenya names and I don't think you'll be the last!

It can be difficult, sometimes, for readers unfamiliar with them to imagine that sometimes, for the writer, the fic doesn't work without them, because they just don't sound right, for the characters at that point in the narrative.

And for writers, it can be difficult to remember that not all readers work out quickly that those names do have a basis in canon (in HoME) and that there are online reference works like Tolkien Gateway in which they are quite thoroughly covered.

Anyway, I hope this list will help a bit!

What a great idea! Thank you for looking/writing this all up.

What might be useful is to note that C and K actually denote the same sound (which is why Tolkien uses them interchangeably, of course), since there still seems to be some confusion about that - not so much in this list, but in Quenya studies in general.

Aracáno could also be Argon, no? (glossed as 'noble gas' -- now I'm just being silly. I'll shut up now!)