Melkor: Null and Void by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Drawing Out


“Catatonic, you say?” enquires Varda in after days at the Máhanaxar.

“Yea, My Queen, I could have pushed him over with one finger, I am sure,” replies Tulkas, “For as I met him in the pit I called out, insisting that he stand and face me, and stand he did; ‘Peace!’ said he, and also ‘Pardon!’ but there was naught in his voice; no fear, no guile, nothing! It seemed that he stood up through blind obedience as one entranced; he remained thus all along; save only for certain absurd gibbering. I admit this was somewhat perturbing… “

“Of all my kindred,” laughs Oromë, “You are the least one I should have expected to utter this…”

Manwë calmly overrides the interruption, “Thank You, Oromë!”

“Great was the company beside me in that hour, including all peoples of all rank…” continues Tulkas, “The greater number of them came from within the walls of Angband itself, being themselves wretches and slaves such as we released; and Aye, each one of us, to the very last, were eager to see the end of the Morgoth! Speaking for myself, I hoped to challenge Melkor as an equal: not to take him in the manner which I found him…”

“Did you pity him?” asks Manwë.

“Nay, Lord, I felt disappointment for myself!”

Manwë nods: not only in assent of Tulkas response but in gesture to go on speaking…

“When Melkor took to murmuring, those present naturally took this as him laying down a curse; they charged at him as an unstoppable whole and hewn his feet from under him, felling him like a mighty tree. They would have continued to do much worse, such have been his crimes against them, but I bade them cease in the name of Manwë the Judge; in no small part, this I did to assuage their bloodlust. Acting out of prudence, Eönwë, removed the Silmarils at this time. Now, it is strange to me that never once did he call out in pain, not even when I cauterised his leg stumps or bound him with Angainor. Subsequently I brought him hither and delivered him to Mandos!”

“Is it true, Námo, that he remains yet in this state?” says Manwë

“It is so!” replies the Lord of Mandos.

“Devilry, slay him now and be done!” shouts Oromë, with many others in accord.

“And where would you have this Kinslaying done, in the very streets of Valmar?” retorts Manwë, “Nay, I will not sanction such a thing on these shores; and certainly not until I have heard more!”

“If not here, Lord; then where?” asks Oromë.

Varda speaks, “Kinslaying sayest Manwë in truth, for although we count not Melkor among our number that is not so with Eru; are they not brothers in the mind of Ilúvatar, and whom amongst all the Children of his thought from the highest to the low could make a judgement against his brethren so hastily? The King will hear more!”

The council sit long in silence exchanging no thought, until at last Tulkas speaks again: “I am not learned in the tomes like so many here present,” he begins, “but it is my delight to hear the tales of old ere I descended into Arda, which Nessa has told to me many times over and I know almost by rote. I mention this now for during my recent days of burden, hauling Melkor’s bulk from Middle-earth, I heard much in variance to that I which already know regarding the Beginning of Days! There were utterances of great battles for control of the skies long before the Sun and Moon; ‘Backwards it is, afore the Trees and the Lamps the great lights shone’ Melkor said. He named himself Midwife to the Premature Second Born and Corrupter of their Fates; ‘It is their lot to spurn the greatest gifts, even those given for their greatest deeds.’ There were other things beside that I do not comprehend,” said Tulkas, “for example, Melkor alleged that he welcomed the Chain then and now: this I do not believe for a moment, I saw the terror in his eyes in ages past when Utumno was undone; and even now the craven hid himself as deep as he could delve.”

“He is transforming his legend!” says Aulë.

“To what end?” supposes Manwë.

“To OUR end!” replies Mandos.

“How so?” Manwë asks.

“Melkor is most crooked but very clever,” says Mandos, “as his last act he is trying to bring about an alternate history in which no doubt he shall be the victor and we the vanquished. I fear in part that he has been successful; he must be dispatched of immediately lest he do more harm!”

“Then do it,” demands Manwë, “cast him through the Door of Night, send him beyond the Walls of the World into the Timeless Void!”

As Manwë had commanded so it was done: but there were many in Valinor who for the first time doubted the judgement of the Elder King, deeming it better that Melkor be slain outright so that the seeds of his malice die with him. Truly, it was seen in after days that much of what was spoken about in contradiction here did come to pass, and indeed evil survived; but who amongst any of the Children can lay the blame for their misdeeds at the door of one who wavers in the face of evil, comprehending it not, or otherwise upon the instigator whom he gleefully follows?

 

 

 

 

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment