Sharpen your swords, O Elves of Nargothrond by maeglin

| | |

Thralls to Unseen Poppies

Fourth Age Valinor holds many delights, but not only these.


The reunion in Tirion was more than Galadriel had dared to hope for.  Celebrian was well and whole.  Nolofinwë and many of his House had been reembodied, and Galadriel found her father was glad to be rid of the Kingship he had never sought. 

All brimmed with joy at her return.  Many had been born long after the Exile, and Galadriel found her tales of both Ennor and the Time of the Trees in great demand.  It was awkward to again be a subordinate after so many years as a ruler, but suffering some minor insults to her pride was hardly a burden after three Ages of fighting Morgoth and Sauron! 

And all of her brothers were back!  Finda, with Amarië and their children by his side, was happier than ever.  Angarato fairly sparkled whenever his newly returned son and grandson were about.  Artaresto and Aikanaro were as she remembered, ever in petty quarrels, yet inseparable.  Her parents' eyes particularly shone at the sight of their family whole again after so many years of agony.

Innumerable cousins also renewed acquaintainces..  Soon enough she had  laughed and sung with her mother's side of the family, of both branches, from Olwë and Elu on down.  Death indeed sat lightly on the likes of the Greymantle, and Beleg Cuthalion who was again his Marchwarden, though the latter longed for his proper home in Ennor.

Even some she had not expected to see came to greet her: the Ambarussa, Tyelkormo, and most surprisingly, Carnistir.  The latter had explained in his typical fashion: "Mandos made a mistake," and had maintained a grim facade for several minutes before laughing and embracing her.  They had talked for hours.  It seemed that this was a place of healing indeed....

 But not all came to Tirion.  Amroth was nowhere to be found, nor was he in Namo's Halls, but since she had long suspected that her son had chosen to remain Houseless, this grief was not a shock.

More disconcerting was the absence of Indis and her relatives.  Finally, she asked her father.  "Atar, where is Daernaneth?"

 He frowned.  "At the foot of Taniquetil, with the rest of the Vanyar."

"They will not come?"

 "No."

"Are they much occupied?"  Vanyar were known for their love of family, and must be in the midst of something crucial if they could not visit. 

At that he laughed bitterly. "Occupied?  Nay.  They do naught but 'glory in the light', as they put it.  That is all they have done since we returned from the War."

"Is Ingwë still High King?" 

"Supposedly."  In truth Ingwë had been effectively unkinged when he declined to sail to that war, and the Vanyar had followed Eonwë directly ever since, but this was not openly spoken of in Tirion, even among princes.  "But he has not given either myself or Nolo any direction or even taken council with us since Eru dealt with the Numenoreans." 

"So they do naught?"  Galadriel was astonished.  

"They still sing their songs and tend their fields, but they are not as you remember.  In fact, daughter, I do not advise that you go to see them.  My last visits were most upsetting.  It is as if they are losing control over their own feär."  

"They are fading then?  Here?"  She shuddered at the thought. Her father had not seen many Elves fade, and perhaps had misinterpreted something - otherwise his words made no sense.  Or perhaps the Vanyar no longer had need of hroär, and were fading in the other manner long foretold.  But that was not supposed to happen yet!  Was the time of the Elves ending even in the Blessed Realm? 

Arafinwë embraced his youngest child.  "Nay, I know what fading is.  Nor is it the other - Dagor Dagorath is not upon us.  But this is ill enough!  Their hroär are as fair as ever, but their feär are ... slipping away!  I doubt Amille would even recognize you without prompting.  Have you ever seen one who was grievously wounded, and though healed in body, became thrall to the poppy-medicine?  We had a few among our people after the War.  But the Vanyar are nearly all like that now, though there is no poppy there that eyes can see.  That special spirit they once had, which so enchanted us, is utterly gone.  Please, do not go to Valimar!" 

 "There is nothing we can do for them then?"

He shook his head sadly, unable to answer further.


Chapter End Notes

'Death sat lightly', one of the prettiest phases applied to a reembodied Elf, comes (I believe) from Marnie's 'Seeds of Old Trees'.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment