Curumo, slices of vice. by Chiara Cadrich

| | |

Valinor


The Years of the Trees, Valinor, Aulë’s caves...

The coppery-bearded colossus was watching his apprentice working a silver torc in the furnace of his forges.

- "Mairon, your works show great concentration and a strong desire to perfect your art. You dominate your subject with power, but your efforts are bent in vain on your inner purpose only...

- How so, Lord Aulë?, questioned the apprentice with a greedy voice.

- Open yourself to others! Take Curumo as an example! His demand for excellence leads him constantly to exchange with his peers, about their motivations, their projects, their practices... "

Mairon, the most powerful of Aulë’s followers, went back to his work, furiously concentrating his will towards perfection. His master sighed, letting him face his need to dominate the matter, and passed to the next workshop.

- "Your pieces show great subtlety and remarkable finesse for mingling new ideas.

- Nonetheless, Lord Aulë? For there is certainly an objection, isn’t it?, Inquired a soft, melodious voice.

- Indeed, Curumo... You're dispersing too much, by probing your peers’ heart. Take confidence in your own inspiration and lead your ideas to their proper untying. Follow the example of Mairon, your elder, focus your will towards your goal! "

The two apprentices espied for a moment, gauging each other through stifling wisps. In a glance, the brilliant but hesitant subtlety mocked the powerful but vain obstinacy. This rivalry, encouraged by their master, may end up some day in dazzling masterpieces…

.oOo.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment