Book of Hours by heget

| | |

Desirers

Irmo


Irmo knows that his brother is not as fond of the Second Children as he, though only because Námo does not know what to do with them. They do not come to his brother's Halls after they die, so their spirits are not his responsibility, which in their own way does endear the mortals to the Doomsman, for their numbers would be a crushing burden otherwise. For his brother that knows all that was foretold, even if he is disinclined to tell it, but the mystery of where the souls of mortals go is disconcerting. Also that the mortals are not tied to fate, though they can be predictable in their own manner or so does Irmo’s brother declare, is a source of both frustration and elation. They are a source of mystery, of surprises, of uncertainty, and that is why the Lord of Lórien loves them best of all his Father’s creations. They look upon Irmo's world as if Arda is the illusionary construct, everything strange and new and yet familiar as if each mortal too heard the plans for the world from Irmo's Father. As if they come into the world dreaming memories and desires of the Song, pieces that Námo does not know and Irmo cannot imagine. His brother does not understand Irmo's enthusiasm, his wonder and delight and kinship for the younger Children. The mortals do not have their fates set in inevitability before them, nor do they feel wholly satisfied or familiar with the world, always restless for more, always dreaming.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment