Drabbles by Grundy

| | |

Naturalist's Guide To Middle-earth, I

Drabbles from the Naturalist's Guide to Middle-earth Image Instadrabbling

January 10 2021

0:00 UTC


Elros tugged Maedhros’ sleeve urgently – and utterly silently.

Bemused, he quietly followed the boy, who was at pains to make as little sound as possible.

They swiftly reached what Elros had clearly wanted him to see.

Seven birds, of the sort the elves of this area called waxwings, sat perched on a branch atop a tree that had not yet gotten its leaves.

The birds are like you and your brothers!

It was the first time either twin had favored him with osanwë, though he knew they frequently used it between themselves.

See, there is even a pair of twins!

 

 ---

 

Though Uncle Moryo was a master tailor with a talent for embroidery, Tyelperinquar had never seen him sketch anything before. But that was exactly what his uncle was doing now.

Tyelperinquar peered over his shoulder, and was surprised to find that his uncle was adding carefully – and in full color – to a page of butterflies.

“It will take some time and careful dye work to achieve the right colors to render them on fabric,” his uncle explained matter-of-factly. “I will need the sketches then to remind me of the patterns.”

Tyelperinquar hoped he would get to see the finished piece.

 

 ---

 

Finderato was astonished when the trees gave way to water and the strangest things he’d ever seen. He was trying to work out just what the things floating here and there on the water were – some sort of causeway, perhaps? – when a bird ran across one.

His face must have been quite the sight, for Cirdan burst out laughing.

“They’re just water lilies, lad. But bigger – they’re large enough that we can walk on them, if we’re careful.”

Astonishment gave way to excitement. Just wait until he wrote to Artë that he had gone walking across the water on plants!

 

 ---

 

“What is that flower called?”

Lindë shrugged.

“I don’t know. I haven’t been back here since the Trees… this one is new.”

Tyelpesilmë sighed. Perhaps it had been a bad idea to bring her law-sister with her. She had thought it might do Lindë some good.

But Lindë had preferred to sail up or down the coast to go climbing up to spots she knew of from before her youth. This was not the only one that had changed. But it was the only one from which they could see the last of the embarkment and the ships making way.

 

 ---

 

“What in the name of Varda is that?” Elros demanded in an undertone.

Elrond had no more idea than his brother. Luckily, Elros hadn’t been quiet enough.

“Better to name Mahal’s mate for that, my lad!” their teacher chuckled.

“That’s a plant?” Elros asked, radiating skepticism.

“No, it’s a fungus,” Akraghâl explained. “As are the smaller ones. We call them elf-cups, seeing as they always grow on riverbanks.”

Elros’ eyes lit, and several of their classmates giggled.

“Can we drink from them?” he asked eagerly.

“If you really want to, but you’ll find it gives the water an odd taste.”

 

  ---

 

Elros stared at the multi-colored insects in his son’s ‘collection’ in bemusement.

This was definitely not any of the grasshoppers he remembered from his childhood. There hadn’t been any near Sirion, at least not that he could recall. The ones near Amon Ereb had been a dull green with brown legs; the ones on the eastern side of Tumunzahar had looked rather like leaves – a form of camouflage, Akraghâl had explained.

This so-called grasshopped had vibrant red wings, a rear section that looked akin to a bee at first glance, and speckles all over its head.

“Are you sure, Vardamir?”

 

  ---

 

Curufinwë wasn’t sure what was so important for him to see that Tyelko needed him *now*. Their camp was barely established. He had much to do.

He’d only been pried away by Tyelko’s admission that he had left Tyelpë outside the camp *alone*. There will be another kinslaying if anything has happened to his son.

His jaw dropped when they reached the clearing Tyelko had been aiming for. The massive nest dominated the scene.

“Isn’t it amazing?” Tyelpë beamed. “I think we should call it the atto-bird – he likes shiny things and everything in his house arranged just so, too.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment