The last word by Raiyana

Fanwork Information

Summary:

In Nargothrond, Curufin leaves behind the last remains of the heart that was once filled with fire... and a letter.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Curufin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Rise Above

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 929
Posted on 10 May 2018 Updated on 10 May 2018

This fanwork is complete.

The Last Word

Read The Last Word

I love you. On this day, I love you more than you may ever realise, my son.

It seems silly to state it so bluntly, for I have loved you ever since I first felt your fëa touch mine, the night you burst into life as though you had always been a part of me – of her. A part of us.

I remember the day you were born, this tiny thing, red and squalling and – quite frankly – ugly, and so very beautiful I wept at the thought that you were mine, ours.

I remember when they asked me your name, asked me if you, too, should bear what I had born, and I heard myself tell them ‘no’.

It was the first time I had said it, for I had thought I would give it to you, right until the moment you were given to me, your tiny fist wrapped around my finger.

I held you, and I watched the way she smiled when you reached out to pull her hair, keeping hold of both of us.

We named you then.

Named you for love, not as a weight to carry, but as a memory, even though I have wept many tears for how you have needed to hold to it, we named you in love.

And the love remains, always.

But the fear did, also, and the fear has perhaps grown stronger as the years passed.

You asked me: why?

I had no answer, then, no answer you would believe, at any rate, and that, perhaps, I shall count among the greatest of my crimes.

I love you.

And I am afraid.

You know the latter – I hope you know the depths of the former, too, but I was never quite so good at saying it as she was – you have seen me, seen more of me than I knew was there, than I should have wanted you to see. You have seen me, years upon years of me, seen us.

And there is the answer, there lies why.

I meant you to be safe – I meant for a lot of things, almost none of which have come to pass – I meant for my beloveds to remain safe behind while I ventured far away for the sake of love and duty, to seek vengeance for what had been taken from us.

Instead, we found ruin and grief, and you, you have grown up in the midst of it all.

I do not think I shall ever forgive myself.

 

You have been my student, my son, and yet I do not know if you will understand how much I have learned from you in turn, how much you have taught me.

You will not truly know what I mean until you feel that first brush of souls, yourself, until you meet your own child for the first time.

I pray that you will, though I also know I shall not be with you, shall not see the light of realisation in your eyes, shall not watch you take that step with the lady who holds your heart.

I am sorrowed.

Sorrowed, but proud, as I know your Ammë is also.

Today, I am proud of you, my son, so proud, even as I know you are filled with anger, filled with righteous fury and the burn of the fire that lives in your soul as it lives in mine – as it lived in his.

Mind the fire, son, for though it is powerful when used as a tool – you have seen it used, by all of us at one point or another – it is also dangerous. Be wary of your fiery soul, my son, wary that it does not burn away all that you cherish, all that you hold dear.

I have taught you as well as I might – we all have – and I… I do not think I can teach you anything else, my son, except to offer a final piece of advice, whether you wish to hear it or not.

Beware of your gift, even as you revel in the making of things hitherto only existing in dreams and drawings.

Be wary of the heart’s voice – for it is both the source of soaring joy and plummeting grief.

 

When the Valar come – and surely, they must, even if we shall be gone when they bestir themselves – do not fight them. Be who you are – and if she

 – is it not odd that I cannot bear to write her name, even now? How many years has she been lost to us, how many moments gone…

If she is with them, tell her that I tried to keep the oaths I swore to her longest of all… though she will know it already.

 

I leave you all that I have learned, every scrap of knowledge we have so carefully hoarded, and I urge you to work towards building a better world, in ways that none of us could, tainted as we are.

Remember that I love you.

You are the greatest thing I shall ever do.

I pray – you may think it odd that I pray, still, but I am your father and I will never not pray for you – that you will be safe, that you will find love, and that you will remember me with even just a sliver of kindness.

I shall think of you, always.

 

Your loving father

Curufinwë Atarinkë

 


Chapter End Notes

“Calling them ‘my students’ isn't quite right. Because I learned from them, as they learned from me. And we grew together as people.” ~ Alison Piepmeier

my quote ^^


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I'm of the rather firm persuasion that he didn't WANT him to follow, didn't WANT him to swear the Oath and throw his life away like the rest of them on an unwinnable goal - at this point, he has no illusions that they'll succeed in claiming the Silmarils... So my reading is rather influenced towards Nargothrond being his last-ditch attempt to be a Father to Celebrimbor...

I've even seen pieces in which the very public disagreement was scripted by curufin & Celebrimbor together, a way to limit the losses - after all, all of the people who had followed C&C Sr remained in Nargothrond with Celebrimbor... and of course, that might come down to "we won't follow you no more" but it might as easily be "Command is passing to him, you now owe my son your allegiance" type of thing.

Help, now I'm full of feels!
This is wonderful. I love your take on Curufin as a father - a great change from the much more frequent controlling, demanding, self-absorbed depiction of Curufin. Love the idea that Curufin was proud of Celebrimbor for taking a different road.

This is very much the Curufin of my Memory Lane fic ;) and I don't tend to see him in such a terrible light(if even Tolkien agreed that he was depicted as worse than reality in the luthien tale, who am I to argue?) so my Curufin is... Not glad, because he is going to miss his son, but at the same time there is no longer the threat of Celebrimbor taking the Oath hanging over him, which is a profound relief. He is also quite proud that he managed to raise a good man (a better man than himself, at least)... I still haven't decided how the argument panned out, but honestly I wouldn't put it past Curufin to have staged the whole thing with or without Celebrimbor's knowledge, just as a last attempt at saving him from the fate that awaits him and his brothers.

Part of him also thinks that perhaps Telperina will forgive him for getting her killed if he manages to save their son - an unspoken thought that has been his driving force since alqualonde in my head...

Thank you for commenting :D

I think there is a richness in imagining Curufin as having other sides than the seemingly awful, scheming person he comes across in canon, especially the idea that a figure as sympathetic as Celebrimbor must have experienced something of love and nobility in the family whose star and creative tradition he kept.

I'm very firmly not in the Curufin-was-horrible-to-the-bone camp of fandom even though it does seem quite pervasive... I firmly believe that - as you say - Celebrimbor's later actions and subtextual readings of his character tells us a lot about the internal family dynamics of the Fëanorians, particularly in regards to Curufin (even Tolkien admitted that he was tarred with a rather too dark brush in the Beren/Luthien tale, after all)...

And also he's my favourite son of Fëanor XD

I don't really want him to be an utter horror as a person - so this was written in that frame of mind. I'm semi-convinced that the final blow-up between them was entirely orchestrated by Curufin in an attempt to save Celebrimbor from the Doom of their house - anything to keep him from taking the Oath alongside them - whether or not Celebrimbor was aware and played along, or his father was just manipulative/scheming/knew him well enough that HE fell for the ruse along with the rest of Nargothrond... one day, I shall write that scene, probably. And the scene where Celebrimbor finds the letter...