Owl by curufinweatarinke

| | |

Chapter 6


There is a small child wandering through Finwë’s palace, shouting for “Ta!” He is holding an owl plush by one ear, the soft body trailing on the ground.

Finwë is transported back in time, looking at him. He isn’t his son, the features are similar but they aren’t identical, but Finwë still half expects the ghost of his past self to come and scoop up this phantom.

Instead, Curufinwë appears, jolting Finwë from his reverie.

“There you are, Tyelpë,” Curufinwë exclaims, “I told you not to go wandering off!” He takes Tyelperinquar into his arms easily.

Tyelperinquar ignores his gentle chiding, opting instead to demand, “Ta! Kiss!”

Finwë stares as Curufinwë smiles and presses his lips to his son’s forehead, then almost does a double take as Tyelperinquar continues, “Owl too!”

“Ugh! What have you been doing with this?” Curufinwë replies in disgust. “No kisses for that until it’s washed, thankyou! And you too! You’re absolutely filthy, what have you been doing? Bath time, I think.” There is no real annoyance in his words, just a warm fondness.

Finwë watches as Curufinwë wrestles with his armful of suddenly squirming and protesting toddler, and approaches them.

“It is good to see you as always, Curufinwë,” Finwë says, “and of course little Tyelperinquar!”

Father and son stop their struggle to look at him. Curufinwë has the owl under one arm, and Tyelperinquar safely in the other. For his part, Tyelperinquar is now chewing on his father’s necklace in anti-bath protest, but quickly lets it go to wave both arms excitedly at the sight of his great-grandfather.

“It is good to see you too, Grandfather,” Curufinwë replies, shifting his weight a little to get an easier hold on his son. “I had hoped to find you, Atar asked me to bring you his regular letter.”

Finwë smiles. He sees Fëanáro at least once a week if his son is not travelling, but Fëanáro still writes almost religiously too.

He and Curufinwë exchange pleasantries for a short while more, before his grandson is ready to take his leave.

“I need to get Tyelpë cleaned up, I’m sorry that I cannot stay longer,” Curufinwë says.

As he turns to leave, Finwë calls him back. “Curufinwë, that owl...” He trails off, unsure of what to ask.

“Oh, this?” Curufinwë says, lifting the toy. “Atar gave it to Tyelpë as a gift when he was a newborn. It’s his favourite toy. Why?”

“Oh no particular reason, I was just curious as he seems rather attached to it,” Finwë replies. Curufinwë nods, and they say their farewells, little Tyelperinquar waving over his father’s shoulder as Curufinwë turns to leave.

Finwë cannot help but feel a surge of warmth in his chest knowing that Fëanáro has not forgotten the owl his mother made for him, and loves it enough to gift something similar to his grandson. He spends the rest of the day smiling.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment