The Grey Rain-Curtain by Lindariel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For this double drabble, I took the Crackuary prompt "choose a whack detail from The Book of Lost Tales to become canon" and picked two from the Story of Eärendil.

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Galadriel returns to Valinor only to find it has changed beyond her imaginings.

Major Characters: Finarfin, Galadriel, Yavanna

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Crackfic

Challenges: Crackuary

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 200
Posted on 13 February 2020 Updated on 13 February 2020

This fanwork is complete.

The Grey Rain-Curtain

Read The Grey Rain-Curtain

As she embraced her father for the first time since the Darkening of Valinor, Artanis Nerwen caught sight of a strange weather phenomenon behind him: a curtain of grey rain obscuring the Calacirya. Before she could ask her adar what it was, Arafinwë Ingoldo broke the embrace and took her hand, saying "come, daughter, you are summoned."

He led her down the long landward slopes of Tuna toward the curtain. He spread his hands toward it, crying "utúlie'n aurë! Auta i lómë!"  The curtain turned clear and parted. A mingled light of silver and gold welled forth, brighter than any sight Galadriel, who had long gazed on the Two Trees in her youth, had ever seen.

Speechless with wonder, Galadriel sought her adar's mind. What? How?

From her adar's mind the story unspooled: when Eärendil slew Ungoliantë on his voyage to the Magic Isles, she vomited up all the sacred light she had stolen but not yet not turned to darkness. Varda Elentári reclaimed it, Yavanna Kementári shaped it, and Aman was now lit by numberless trees, each lesser than the original Two Trees but growing across the land.

Now, said Kementári into her mind, what can you tell me about mellyrn


Chapter End Notes

I had way too much fun with this!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thanks!  I knew I wanted to turn that bit into canon, but then I had to stop and think about the mechanics of it.  What would happen if someone killed the primordial light-eater?  And the answer to that gave me an excuse to use the second bit, the part about the sorrowful Valar sticking a veil between Kor and Valinor.