Second Childhood by HannaGoldworthy

| | |

Chapter 6


In the years she had spent in Aman, Sarnai found that her returns home numbered amongst her fondest memories.  It rarely happened the same way twice; sometimes she’d walk home in the early morning, leisurely taking in the sights of the mountainside, stretching out her new muscles, greeted warmly when she arrived just as the day’s work was about to begin.  Or, sometimes she’d emerge in the afternoon, and usually she found Maedhros already waiting just outside the forges – somehow he always knew when she was about to awake, and on those days he had time to prepare.  And sometimes, she’d borrow a horse and ride out in the middle of the night, and be next to him when he opened his eyes; these days, it seemed like that was the only surprise he truly welcomed.

 

Today, however, was an odd day, for she was greeted by her brother with a sun-dappled filly he insisted was hers.  “Zorig, she’s too beautiful.  You’ll need her for breeding, surely.”

 

Her older brother shook his head, his young and beardless face alight with a smile.  “It’s customary to give a beast of burden to someone whose father-in-law has returned from death.”

 

“You made that up just now, didn’t you?”

 

“No, I made it up yesterday.  But, even if it’s an occasion we’ve never encountered, it’s still an occasion.  I had to do something.  And I know you’ve had an eye on the palominos.”

 

She could tell he wasn’t about to budge, so she embraced him instead.  “Thank you.”

 

“You can repay the favor with her first foal, if you like.”

 

“I’ll be sure to do that.”

 

So it was that, this time around, she arrived home just an hour before dawn on a brisk late summer morning.  It was too late to sneak up the stairs, for Maedhros was probably just about to wake, and she decided to go to the kitchen to make a large breakfast – mostly for selfish reasons, because she hadn’t eaten yet and she was hungry as a bear.

 

When an unfamiliar set of footsteps tramped loudly down the stairs, she jumped despite herself.  She’d forgotten about Curvo.  “Good morning,” she murmured.  “What do you like on pancakes?”

 

“Butter and jam and extra syrup…and coffee, black, I don’t care if you say I’m too young,” he grumbled blearily.  A quick glance told her that he was sitting in his chair, staring at the placemat.  She nodded, then blinked and looked again.

 

“Is your hair pink?”

 

He looked up, blinked, and did a double-take as quickly as she had.  “When did you get back?”

 

“Just now…why is your hair pink?”

 

“Quiet,” he hushed, glancing back up the stairs as he stood up.  “He’s only started sleeping through the night just recently.  It would be a shame if he woke.”

 

Sarnai raised an eyebrow, and grinned.  “Indeed.”  Normally Maedhros had to spend a week or two adjusting his sleep habits after she returned; the fact that he’d taken the initiative without her was a very good sign.  “So, Curvo – you like blackberry jam, right?”

 

“Right.”  His eyes glinted doubtfully, and he glanced up the stairs again, his ears perked to detect any movement.  “Do you mind if I ask you a personal question, since we’re alone?”  At her shake of the head, he leaned closer to whisper conspiratorially.  “Are the rosebushes meant to represent your children?”

 

Sarnai beamed.  “Our natural-born children, yes – Maedhros has a couple of fig trees he spoils to honor Elrond and Elros.”

 

“I knew it,” Fëanor – for it was him, the adolescent Curvo momentarily forgotten – was incandescently happy.  “I knew he was being deliberately obtuse about the whole thing.  He’s told me every name of every niece and nephew and every adopted child and grandchild, but he’s kept me guessing about the rest.  I cannot for the life of me fathom why.”

 

“It’s a question you’ll have to ask him.  Perhaps he thinks you might be uncomfortable knowing your much-older guardians have actually made children…or perhaps he might not want to threaten you over beating your record.”

 

Fëanor scoffed.  “You are welcome to double my record if you can, since you’re only one away from doing so.  I want at least forty-nine grandchildren, and Tyelkormo cannot seem to settle down.”

 

Sarnai blushed, and set his plate in front of him.  “It’s certainly something to consider.”

 

The boy in front of her grinned mischievously, and stood as he claimed his food.  “Interestingly enough, that’s basically what Maitimo said about dying his hair,” he said airily, with a wink.

 

“Your meddling nature is duly noted, Atar,” rumbled a beloved voice behind her.  “And please tell me you aren’t drinking coffee.”

 

Fëanor scuttled out of the room to take his meal on the porch.  “Whyever would I do such a thing?” he asked casually as he sped out the door.

 

Maedhros rolled his eyes.  “Now you’ve done it; he won’t shut up for the rest of the day.”

 

Sarnai ignored his grousing to examine the man she loved so much.  He did indeed have a small lock of emerald coloring on the left side of his face, which framed his features elegantly and brought out the tiny bits of green in his eyes.  When he caught her look, he flushed brightly, and tucked the hair behind his ear.

 

“There is a wedding next month we were planning to attend,” he offered by explanation.  “And, after his mishap with homemade black dye, I was not about to let him color my whole head.”

 

“Ah, so that’s why his hair’s pink.”

 

“And he will deny it to his dying breath,” Maedhros said, watching carefully as she slowly approached, still eying him appraisingly.  “He claims he did it on purpose because it’s my mother’s favorite color.”

 

“He’s remembered, then.”

 

“My mother’s favorite color is grey.”

 

“He’s beginning to remember.”

 

“A few things, yes,” he sighed.  “If you don’t like the hair, I could find some way to remove it.  The dwarves should know something about it…”

 

“I think it’s quite becoming,” she interjected before he could finish his thought, reaching out to curl the little swatch of color around her finger.  “But that’s not what I’m looking at.  The two of you had a conversation, didn’t you?”

 

“We had many; we could hardly avoid them, living in close quarters.”

 

“Yes, but you had a conversation about you.  And it shows.  You seem lighter, like you’ve finally forgiven yourself for something.”

 

“Do I?”  His arms moved to encircle her waist loosely.  “I’ve had many similar conversations with others in the past, especially with you.”

 

“Of course – that’s how I know that’s what happened.  And you needed to have that talk with him, badly.”

 

Maedhros rested his head against hers, squinting calculatingly down at her.  “You did this on purpose.”

 

Sarnai smiled innocently.  “I never said I did not.  But I am glad of the results.”

 

“Minx.”  Before she could respond, he claimed her mouth in a long, warm kiss, and her heart fluttered in perfect happiness.  She always cherished these initial few days the most; somehow it always felt like the two of them were falling in love for the first time, the only time, no matter how many repetitions they lived.

 

“Liltaurë is a fine name,” put in a voice from the doorway.  Right…Curvo was here.

 

The cheeky not-youth smirked in triumph as they turned to glare at him, gesturing vaguely toward the barn.  “For the new horse, I mean.  She’s truly a beautiful specimen.”

 

“Out,” Maedhros ordered, ignoring Sarnai’s stifled giggles.

 

“But you could certainly use it as a child’s name, since you seem to be interested.”

 

Out.”

 

“I am not joking when I say I want more grandchildren.”

 

“Curvo, get out, or I’ll break your thumbs.”

 

Curvo clenched his hands protectively to his chest.  “Not the thumbs!” he shrieked, scurrying away toward the fields when Maedhros took a step toward him.  “Break my face, but not the thumbs!

 

Maedhros waited until his screaming had died into the distance; only then did he look back at her, eyebrows raised in mock disapproval.

 

Sarnai shrugged, still trying not to laugh.  “Well, that’s one moment ruined.”

 

“Never forget, darling – this was your idea.”


Chapter End Notes

Oh hey, look, I finally managed to complete something that isn't a oneshot.  Wheee!  *falls asleep*


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment