To Ward Winter's Chill by elfscribe

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is a sequel to Osse's Gift. Contains banter, domesticity, and a sudden dark revelation from Glorfindel's past.

Beta: Capella

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Sometimes it takes more than one night of passion to start a relationship on a sound footing. (Glorfindel/Erestor) Sequel to Osse's Gift.

Major Characters: Erestor, Glorfindel

Major Relationships: Erestor/Glorfindel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 4 Word Count: 21, 423
Posted on 24 October 2007 Updated on 24 February 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

The boys had a little too much fun in this chapter.  The pace (and plot) pick up in Chapters 3 & 4.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love these characters, They are both so real to me. I flip back and forth between which one I love the most. I guess backed up against the wall it would have to be Erestor. If, for no other reason, and there are plenty of others, his cursing is so wonderful. (A little too much identification here, as I am notoriously foul-monthed among by family and friends). My favorite Erestor curse is: "Well, I'll be a dead stinking orc." He is just so convincingly pissed off when he says it too.

It wasn't just for the cursing. I love that it picked up from the previous story which I enjoyed. The eroticism sizzles and is convincing. The interplay between the two is such fun and, awww, it's all that much more romantic because of their realistic struggles in attempting to adjust to one another.

Hi there m'dear.  Mmm, glad you enjoyed this, particularly Erestor's curses.  Middle Earth curses are actually kind of a pain to come up with, you know, something that sounds authentic and not stupid.  LOL!  Certainly Tolkien's characters didn't curse.  And yeah, stories always need conflict.  It's funny because I never intended for that bit of backstory about Fin to come out.  I didn't even know about it when I started writing this and then after their little tussle on the floor, Fin told me - in no uncertain terms - that I had to listen to and the story came out much different than I intended, but I think better.  Yeah, characters talking back to you.  [shrugs]. What are you gonna do?   Thanks again for your kind comments.  Most appreciated.  *g*

People have written essay about lack of cursing in Tolkien's writing--fine. If Tolkien had written everything I had to say about these characters then I wouldn't bother to write this stuff. I write a lot about Finwe's grandchildren and no one in the world will ever convince me that they didn't curse. And the curses are very hard to write--well done they can be very effective. (And Erestor has such a strong voice here--I love it.)

Very interesting about Glorfndel's backstory--I have a whole theory about why characters start to write themselves like that. But I won't take up space with it here, just to say that it usually means you have really gotten inside of their heads very effectively.

Glorfindel and Erestor together are one of my favourites, and this depiction of the give and take of compromise and love they feel for each other is just fantastic.