The Sky Is Over by Robinka

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks to Rhapsody for an extra-speedy beta and help. The title is borrowed from the song by Serj Tankian.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For the challenge "Within the Pages of Lore", a glimpse at Finrod, dedicated to my friend and fellow writer Rianna.

Major Characters: Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Within the Pages of Lore

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 100
Posted on 13 March 2008 Updated on 13 March 2008

This fanwork is complete.

The Sky Is Over

Now King Finrod Felagund had no wife, and Galadriel asked him why this should be; but foresight came upon Felagund as she spoke, and he said: "An oath I too shall swear, and must be free to fulfil it, and go into darkness. Nor shall anything of my realm endure that a son should inherit."

But it is said that not until that hour had such cold thoughts ruled him; for indeed she whom he had loved was Amarië of the Vanyar, and she went not with him into exile.

["Of the Noldor in Beleriand"]

Read The Sky Is Over

He could hardly have any reason to keep faith. Words blurted unbidden had proven that his peace was forever disrupted. Leaning against the wall, he looked down at his hand. The warmth of his sister's touch lingered, waning fast and he clenched his fingers, as if trying desperately to stop it from vanishing -- having done that before, in vain. Eyes closed, breathing deeply, he realized that she had perceived what he knew very well. Yet, the previously avoided question had cropped out, like a depraved ornament on a decorated vaulting.

"The sky is over," Finrod whispered. "Shadows lie ahead."


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is beautiful, Binks! Poor Finrod, having suddenly come to such a conclusion. The depraved ornament cannot be ignored any longer.

I love the part where he tries to keep the warmth of his sister's hand, but knows the futility because he tried and failed to do the same with Amarië.

Thank you for sharing this little gem.

This is so beautiful, elegant in how Finrod is portrayed here. Ever since I read this quote, I wondered what must have gone through his mind when he said that or after it. The allusion between Galadriel's touch and that of Amarie says so much, to me it feels as if he draws strength from it especially knowing what is to come. This is a very vivid image, very intimate and immensely powerful.

Very nice, Binka! Have you noticed that all the Pages of Lore quotes have been related to Nargothrond in some way. I didn't know that Finrod was the conspirator type. ;)

I'll agree with the previous review that Finrod trying to hold the warmth of Galadriel's touch as once he tried (futilely) to hold Amarie's is a great image ... very poignant!

I guess it's the time for me to say something. ;)

When I read it yesterday morning, I said that it is nice and that I like it a lot. The impression is still the same. I have to agree with preview reviewers that the part where Finrod tries to keep the warmth of his sister's hand is a great image. For me it is also very suggestive. I can almost see a flash of a memory in Finrod's head, the longing and then coming of the strength among with the deep breath. Beautiful and excellent!

I'm still surprised with the dedication. ;) Didn't expect this. I'm touched. I guess I have to get used to all signs of kindness which are given to me here. For now - I'm happy like a little child. ;)

Thank you very much. :)

It comes across strongly here how disturbed Finrod is by his own prophecy--even though on some level he already knew the answer to Galadriel's question. And that the loss of Amarie, although it's turned out not to be his main motivation any more, is nevertheless still affecting him deeply. The decorated vaulting is a very fitting choice of metaphor for Finrod Felagund of Nargothrond...

I'm not surprised you placed at the MEFAs with this piece!