Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This short piece is filled with a scenery that makes it read as if it is a poem. Rich language, yet so fitting and adding to it.

For example this:

 He wiped a tear from her face with his forefinger, the gold ring of marriage catching the last fire of the sun.

This is a very intense scene, probably quite universal, yet it has a beautiful and unique touch that connects these two. Father and daughter give each other hope and strength in a wonderful way.

Oh, this is immensely intriguing, a mystery that places the origin of Tillion in a different light. I love the small touches on knowlegde passed on through generations from women upon women and the first steps towards adulthood. It just feels that Isilmë grows up in these series.

'And so it begins...' May I squee a bit about how these two met? I've been looking forward to read this moment the day Isilmë appeared in your story the Elendilmir. It's a very quiet moment, yet somehow so the two of them. Oh and a beautiful allusion between Isilmë bathing in the silver moonlight and Elendil appearing in golden light (in a way).

I think there is a truly wonderful touch of mystery and magic to this set of stories. As they allow us glimpses at the life of Isilme they at the same time give an insight into the secrets of the women -- their beliefs, strong connection to the sea and moon, the sort of clan they have establish, if I may say so. And it is very interesting to see, to follow the life of one of them, spanning from her early childhood, up to adulthood, when she grows up surrounded by other women, sheltered like a beach secluded by rocks. :)

Each of them is not simply a short story. I've always admired the author's ability to say so much in as limited number of words. As they are, they present a whole lot more each, if I make sense here. For example, the line that depicts the meeting (reunion) of Isilme's parents.

And the sea! One can say, the sea is their life, their life is the sea.

Adorable series! :) I'm looking forward to reading more. Thank you tons for sharing :D

Best wishes,

Binka

PS. On a side note, there's no better story to recommend under the theme of the Sea in my lj community. I'm going to fill in the reccing form and will post the recommendation asap.

Binka, thanks so much for the compiiments and for linking this series into your LJ community!

Graeco-Roman mythology strongly influences my interpretations of JRRT's seconday world, e.g., Rána as goddess, the mysteries of the women, the proto-Roman architecture of Ost-in-Edhil and even the fact that my version of Annatar likes to wear what he calls "chitons" in warm weather.  But I was also thinking of the old whaling and fishing communities (Nantucket, Gloucester, Ipswich) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  The women were left behind and formed tight circles of support while they awaited the return of their men from the sea.

"I've always admired the author's ability to say so much in as limited number of words."

And thanks again!  Coming from you - one who writes such nice ficlets, your compliments mean a lot to me - who is usually very wordy! :^D

Oh the last one for now! I so enjoyed this ficlet series so far and this one is most certainly sensual. Secret lore, a secret lover, mystery galore in many facets. The connection with the sea, the tides, waves of passion, to explore one another before marriage and their secret... simple wonderful. Now I am not sure if I should tug your sleeve for the Samaril fix or for Isilmë!

Rhapsody, thanks so much for the many kind compliments on this little series!  I'm glad you found these appealing, particularly since it was your encouragement to further explore Isilmë's life that inspired these. :^)  I intend to add to them as inspiration strikes.

To me, Tolkien's descriptions of Númenor in Unfinished Tales and in The Lost Road convey an underlying lush sensuality and a very deep connection to the sea by these people so I'm trying to capture it here.

Former SWG user

16 years 3 months ago

Well, damn me, lol, I never thought to look if this story was on here. I will say that I love the writing, it's rich and beautifully descriptive. As I have said there is a real sense of Priestesshood about the character. She does not come across as a " woman " or " some-one's wife " . I don't know if you intended it, or it is the writing, but that is the sense I get from her. The scene of her emerging from the water is both earthy and mystical like the Birth of Aphrodite but with spices. I have got to say I love your female characters - although she is canon as such, to me she is not named and so can count with your other brilliant OFC.

Thanks so much, Fanari!  Coming from a writer who writes lush descriptive prose herself, your compliments are very much appreciated.  Yes, my intent is to portray Isilmë as a strong person in her own right - a woman who will be not only the mother of two famed warrior-kings, but also a valued equal (unofficially co-regent, I'm thinking) to her spouse and to those around her.  And yes, I did think of the birth of Aphrodite as I wrote about Isilmë and the other women's emergence from the sea. :^)

"if a woman like Isilmë is in love with him, he must have some character ;D"

 Heh.  Likewise, I'm thinking he must have some redeeming features even if he gets distracted by tattoos during inopportune moments. I doubt that he'll do that again.  :^D

Many thanks, Moreth!   My guess is that this "women's culture" is the remnants of a much older one.  I probably have read too much of The White Goddess. Gandalf's Apprentice's  The Great Mother  in "The Blue Book of Bilbo Baggins" also might have put the subversive notion of an underground women's culture into my heretical head.

Owww, this is so sensual in a way. This is a grand meeting, the king who will never produce an heir and the woman who will be -since fate has determined so - the mother of two kings. I love the courtly details (for a moment I thought I could imagine Tar-Palantir wooing Isilmë like Henry the VII does in the Tudors and I hold my breath, just like she does. Wonderful imagery with so much foreshadowing (especially when I immediately had to think of the Lughnasad festival where the old reigning king will sacrifice himself for the newest generation to come (or my imagination runs wild, which is possible as well)).

I thought I could imagine Tar-Palantir wooing Isilmë like Henry the VII does in the Tudors...

Heh.  You and I are under the same influence!  Your imagination is on to something here.  I'm no historian, but what I remember about Northern European and Graeco-Roman mythologies and pre-Christian history creeps into my head as I write about Isilmë and her milieu.

Many thanks for reading this and commenting.  As I noted in my response to your latest comments in response to The Elendilmir, I'm hoping these will be seeds for a more extensive story (novel!) about Isilmë.

I really love how you tackled this event, starring Isilmë in probably one of the most important moments in life. It makes me wonder why we want to go through it again ;) Again beautiful symbolims: the comparisions of contractions to waves, the shadow-child and the breathtaking moment of the setting moon... especially the timing with the name-giving, Isildur's own seemingly preference to things moon-related... This makes me look forward to the birth of that other icon :) Simply breathtaking!

It took me a time to think what to tell you about this chapter. And you know, I couldn't really decide, because no matter how long I thought there were always a few words on my mind: this is simply beautiful. Having read the previous one, with such splendid imagery and a bit of prophecy, I kept returning to this last one and again thought, oh the symbolism (I totally agree with Rhaps' opinion here). The scene of giving birth is sublimed into a sacred act of beginning here. The presence of the other women that welcome the child to the world and assist the mother strenghtens the bond within the family, besides I can't help but get a little teary reading about Elendil's tears of happiness.

A deep bow before you for writing such a beautiful scene. It's vivid and symbolic, and I can see it before my very eyes even though I personally have no experience of the sort.

All the best,

Binka 

Thank you very much for the kind words, Binka!  I'm gratified to read your comments which indicate I was able to convey what was in my old noggin: Isildur's connection to the Moon (which plays into his mother's connection) from the moment of his birth and some foreshadowing there, birth as a beginning, and the intimacy of family.

Thanks again! 

I simply love how you've managed to make an ordinary moment of the family's life a special one. I think that the entire story is a fine selection of such seemingly ordinary moments of everyday life, but you've made them unique by describing them so beautifully.

Once again, a beautiful, touching moment, with a hint of sadness, and a very intimate glimpse at Isilme and Elendil. Love it!

Thanks so much, Robinka for this and the compliment on "Diamonds Bright."  I'm fond of Isilmë and Elendil.  I figure that Isilmë had to be a strong woman and deeply in love with Elendil.  Also that they had their private moments outside of the grand and perilous path of history they followed. Isilmë is taking me on a journey!

 

Thanks for commenting, oshun!  Having read "Description of the Isiand of Númenor" and "Aldarion and Erendis" in Unfinished Tales, I liked the custom of the oiolairë branch, or the "green bough of return" being attached to the prow of a ship and wanted to incorporate it somehow into the ficlet.   So I made up a little ritual on the other end of the voyage -- the return -- and had the  ship's captain create a wreath for his lady.  The description of oiolairë as having leaves that are ever-green, glossy and fragrant" reminded me of bay laurel.   I figured Isilmë and Elendil, after a long separation due to Elendil's voyage, would be more than ready to be alone together.

I don't blame Isilme for wanting to drag her husband home and jump his bones. :-) Go her! I enjoyed the imagery you described in this chapter, the sights and scents, all of it made it more real and enjoyable to read. I liked how you wrote the ships coming in to the quays also. This was great. I really like your isilme a lot. I also loved the part where isildur challenged his fathers grace by nearly bowling him over with hugs, loved that part too! I can totally see it. Fabulous writing!

Please forgive my terribly belated response to your lovely and much appreciated comments, Lady Roisin.  I'm so glad these Second Age icons meet with your approval.   When Isilmë walked into the kitchen of Imladris with Valandil, I knew this was a powerful and intriguing woman so I had to get out bits and pieces of her backstory here in "Moon of the Sea."  It's quiet for now, but I do intend to keep adding to it, both in future events and retrospectively.  The mention of civil war around the time Tar-Palantir took the throne has piqued my interest, and I figure Isilmë and Elendil would have experienced that.  I'll likely take her to the shores of Middle-earth in Moon of the Sea, i.e., washed up on the shores after the cataclysm of Númenor. 

Thanks so much for reading Isilmë's story so far.

Yay for the mariner's daughters!! "cheers  loud and proud"  I really and truly love how you write your women. I also feel they are very important characters in the whole story of the faithful, and I love how you write them. The image of isilme's father sweeping her up into his arms is wonderful. I like getting to know hr parents a bit.