Of Sauron and the Lesser Rings by Anlashaq

| | |

Chapter 1


Ere Sauron wrought the One Ring - The Ring of Power, he would make trial of his ringcraft. And so he laboured in secret at the forges of the Elves in the land of Eregion where they had bid him welcome. And Celebrimbor was unaware of all that he did; for many were beguiled by his fair countenance, and others too were swayed by his words, for his knowledge on matters dear to the hearts of the elven-smiths was very great, and no few had benefit from his counsels. And he observed all that the Elves would do, as they trusted him, and fearing little or naught revealed to him even their most secret yearnings, and their resolve to bring forth such works as would enrich and enhance Middle Earth for many ages yet to come.

Four times did Sauron make trial, and four rings of gold he made; seeming faultless to the discerning eye; a prize, a thing to treasure? Yet to Sauron they were but essays in the craft, for each surpassed the one before in ways occult, and with the forging of each ring, so grew his mastery. Until he made trial a fifth time, and that was the last. Thus his knowledge was made complete, and his joy was great. For now he perceived that though the forges of the Elves were potent, and doubtless fit for the making of such rings as the Elves themselves might conceive, they had not the fire for the forging of the One Ring - the Ring of Power.
And Sauron smiled as he ceased his labours, and he caught up the rings that he had made and would cast them aside, for to him they now had scant worth, though each was wrought of purest gold. But then a new and terrible thought came to him and he laughed - for he delighted in evil.  

And he took up the five rings that had been wrought and worked on them anew; for a mighty sorcerer was Sauron, and well nigh to matchless in all of Middle Earth after the hiding of Valinor and the bending of the Seas.
Thus by strange arts - long now forgotten - he did confine a lesser spirit within a jewel upon each ring; bound to reside an evil tenant in dutiful captivity. Likewise to all a sum of power was also given - though not great, and spiteful purpose. So the rings had life after a fashion. Yet life hath need of sustenance to endure: but Mind and Life the rings devoured. So fated was the owner, and luckless those that came to a ring by chance, or seeming fortune. And Sauron made them to be the bearers of delusion to whosoever wore them, thus would they crave dominion, and covet wealth.  Invisibility too, they did possess and would bestow, much as the Great Rings: But only upon condition, and that condition needs must be met and it were granted, but only for a time.


Chapter End Notes

I wrote this in tribute. It is a simple thing to do  because Tolkien made it so easy. I wish to do honour without causing offence, but I do/did not put pen to paper lightly.

To be as true as I can be to the spirit of what has gone before.

To be as true to the origin without being a sycophant.

To be consistent with. to be plausible, believable. Such are my own personal self requirements.

 I regret that I am a Novice in many ways. Summaries, story notes, chapter notes etc  perplex me. I do not understand!

 This work is unfinished.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment