We Speak through Music by wind rider

| | |

Fanwork Notes

References: 

(Taken from the E-book version of the Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien,

the Two Towers, Book III, Chapter 4: Treebeard.) “I've lived a very long, long time; somy name is like a story. Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say. It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to.” (p. 57) “Elves began it, of course, waking trees up and teaching them to speak and learning their tree-talk. They always wished to talk to everything, the old Elves did.” (p. 60) “Still, I take more kindly to Elves than to others: it was the Elves that cured us of dumbness long ago, and that was a great gift that cannot be forgotten, though our ways have parted since.” (p. 64)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

How did the Ents learn their unique, beautiful language? Surely not from the Elves? Because if the Elves did teach them, then Legolas must have known about it… Fangorn hid many secrets, indeed, but not all of them were only about the old, old forest of his realm. Legolas and Gimli were lucky; they got the privilege of knowing about one of the most important secrets to be ever shared by the Ent kind.

Major Characters: Ainur

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: First Meetings

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 642
Posted on 13 July 2009 Updated on 13 July 2009

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

This story

 is set before the rebellion of the Ñoldor, when Oromë’s hunting party still went to Middle Earth often. Treebeard (Fangorn, in this story) was yet young at that time. And, because of the timeline, the Elves who were in Middle Earth were the Sindar and Nandar. The Elvish spoken about here is Sindarin, but it could also refer to Nandarin. The references to the history of the Ents point much towards Elves, but I saw some gaps there to be filled. I read somewhere that one of the hobbits – either Merry or Pippin – asked Treebeard… or perhaps it was Quickbeam… if they were not afraid that their intentions would be discovered through their language, but the Ent said that no one could possibly imitate nor understand the Entish. If you remember the exact passage, please tell me. The question that sparked this piece was: If the Elves woke the trees up and cured the Ents from their dumbness, then who taught the Ents their unique language? How did they develop it?


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.