Tales of the Falathrim by Cirdan

| | |

Chapter 1: Beleg's Arrow


Now you may know the story of Beleg Cuthalion, but do you know the story of his arrow? Well, it does not surprise me. Narn I Hin Hurin, the Tale of the Children of Hurin, was composed by Dirhavel, a Man, and that tale is so long that in its retelling, Dirhavel often forgot to mention Beleg's favorite arrow, Dailir. And those minstrels that learned that tale from Dirhavel in turn also did not know of that dart beloved. But our Lord Cirdan is also a minstrel. Oh yes, for he was of the Lindar, the Elves of Song, and before he was a shipwright-before he became the Shipwright-he was a minstrel. You have not heard his songs? Nor you? Well, but you are all still very young, and Lord Cirdan has many duties. I'm sure that you will hear him in time. It is from him that I heard this tale, and so I pass it on now.

Well, little is ever told in tales before the return of Morgoth, but Beleg was born in those sunless days. One cannot say where he was born or where he lived in his youth, for like many in those days, his family traveled all through Harfalas, as did many families. You see, in those days, Beleriand was free from the evil creatures of Morgoth. Many Elves lived in peace in small groups in the wild. Beleg's family would visit Eglarest from time to time, mostly to trade or to enjoy the beauty of the starlight upon the dark waters of the Sea or even to see the development of the city, but they preferred for the most part to explore and enjoy the beauty of West Beleriand. Thus, Beleg lived in Tar-en-Faroth, in Nan- Tathren, in Nimbrethil, and sometimes, in Eglarest as well. During those times that he was in Eglarest, he would listen to the stories woven by Lord Cirdan, sometimes of the Sea and sometimes of the Great Journey. Our Lord took quite a liking to the boy, and when Beleg was older, the two would sometimes practice archery together. Of course, you know that Lord Cirdan is an excellent archer, and Beleg practiced hard to impress the Lord of the Falas. To his parents' surprise and delight, Beleg became broad-shouldered and sure of mark. When he came of age, Beleg chose to remain in Eglarest, and though the love of the Sea never awakened in him as it did in many of the Falathrim, Beleg dwelt by the shore and studied archery with Lord Cirdan.

Much time passed, and Beleg of the Broad Shoulders became renowned for his skill with the bow. He was able to draw a 100-pound bow, or was it 200? Well, none know exactly how great his bow was, but we know that he carved it himself, for he had learned from Lord Cirdan the skill of carving wood, and Beleg turned that skill to the making of bows and arrows rather than the making of the bows of ships. In any case, when Morgoth returned to Angband, the Orcs came forth from the North and assailed all of Beleriand. As I've already said, many Elves wandered free in the wild or dwelt at peace in small kindreds far sundered, but once word was about that such evil and fell creatures were about, many retreated to Menegroth or to the Falas, for only at these two places were there numerous peoples. Our people were yet unfamiliar with dealing with such monsters, and King Thingol was cut off from Lord Cirdan at Eglarest. At this time, though Beleg loved Lord Cirdan greatly, Beleg begged leave to go to Menegroth to help defend the King. This Lord Cirdan gladly granted to him, for though he had use of such a great bowman, he also felt that the protection of the King was of utmost importance. Beleg led a small host of the best archers of the Falathrim, and they won their way eastward to Eglador.

Now, before Beleg left for Eglador, Lord Cirdan said to him, "You have made for yourself Cuthalion," which means Strongbow and was the name of his bow, though you know it to be his chosen name now. "However, though you have many arrows, you have none that are truly equal to Cuthalion. Let me then gift to you this dart, Dailir," and it was an arrow of sound feathers and goodly barbs. Lord Cirdan said that this arrow once belonged to Orome Tauron, the Forester, and was used by Orome when the Rider first came forth and protected the Elves about Cuivienen. This very same dart, strong and sure, did Lord Cirdan give to Beleg Strongbow and he bade him to use it well in his service to King Thingol. "Olwe, King of the Arrow- elves, gave this to me ere I left in search of his brother and my kinsman, Elu Thingol, and now I give it to you for the safeguarding of Thingol. But this doom shall I add ere you go," said Lord Cirdan, who sees farther than any other of the Wise. "Sought or unsought, you will find Dailir unbroken and unmarred, for this feather-pinioned snaketongued shaft is of wood from the Blessed Realm. But if this dart should break, then it is a warning to be heeded, for your end will be near yet can be averted should you follow the wisdom of the wood of Dailir."

Beleg accepted this arrow gravely, and he took to heart the words of our Lord. He set out at that time for Eglador, and sure enough, after each encounter, he found Dailir. Beleg and his small band of warriors joined with the people of Thingol, and after the First Battle, Beleg remained in Doriath and became chief of its marchwardens. Many great deeds did he do then and thereafter, as you well know. In the Fifth Battle, he and Mablung alone of the Doriathrim were given leave to join the Union of Maedhros, and they fought with the hosts of Fingon, then King of the Noldor. By great fortune, they survived the Dagor Nirnaeth and returned to Doriath, and sure enough, after each encounter with the enemy, Dailir refused to be left behind and made itself found by Beleg. Indeed, many a times, especially at that retreat, it was Dailir, flying swift and sure, that saved Beleg from his foes.

But against the Curse of Morgoth upon the children of Hurin, Dailir was helpless. As you well know, Beleg went forth in search of Turin, son of Hurin, after his departure from Doriath. And he went forth in search of Turin yet again when Bar-en-Danwedh was betrayed. Sorely wounded was he at that time, but his healing skill was great, and his heart was valiant and he refused to abandon Turin. Yes, all this you know, so I will return to the tale of Dailir, Beleg's favorite arrow.

With naked arm, Beleg drew his great bow to his ear and let fly Dailir. The air whistled, and the bowstring twanged behind it, and soundlessly a wolf sentinel fell before the great arrow. Beleg took this as an auspicious sign, and he shot swiftly and surely his other arrows until seven wolves were silently slain. He went forth to rescue Turin, but the bonds which bound Turin's ankles would not be severed by any normal weapon, though that about his wrists were cut-ah, if only they had not been. Beleg bore the son of Hurin away from that Orc camp upon his broad shoulders, but before he left that camp, Beleg stumbled upon the unsure earth. His hand was hurt deeply as he groped on the ground by the gleaming point of his own dearly prized dart, Dailir, broken at last by Beleg's falling body. Its shaft was fragmented in twain, and its barbs were bent. It boded ill.

Beleg heeded this sign not, for his concern of Turin blinded him from thoughts of his own well-being. Aye, great was Beleg's love for Turin, for Turin was for a time the foster son of King Thingol. If Beleg had remembered at that very moment the words of Lord Cirdan, if he had listened to the warning put forth by Dailir the Dart, perhaps that great man would still be with us. But instead, Beleg drew his sword Anglachel and with it cut the fetters that bound Turin. The black blade slipped as he cut the shackles, and Turin's foot was pricked, and as you know, Turin grappled that wicked blade from Beleg's hands and slew his savior. Thus ends abruptly and horribly this tale of Beleg and Beleg's arrow. Alas for Beleg Cuthalion!


Chapter End Notes

Notes: The tale of Dailir is adapted from lines 1080-1192 of "The Lay of the Children of Hurin" (HoME III).


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment