The Fellowship of the Elves by Cirdan

| | |

Chapter 1


Maglor studied the ancient text carefully before announcing, "If Sauron has truly reawakened, then there must be nine walkers set against the nine riders that are evil."

"We, too, are riders," Curufin said with disdain. "Indeed, I am certain that we are better riders than Cormafear."

"Easily done. Then we shall be the Nine Riders of the Light set against the Nine Riders of the Dark," Maedhros said smoothly. Though this was a simple exercise of choosing a company, his brothers were all too eager to bolster the fame of the Noldor.

"The Nine Riders of Light," Amras repeated. He nodded, and his large, dark eyes glimmered gleefully. "We have seven."

"And who shall be the Cormacolindo, the Ringbearer?" added Amrod.

"I am oldest, and so I shall be the one to take the Ring when the time comes," Maedhros said. "There remain two more to be found. These, I will consider."

"But that would leave no place for me!" Celebrimbor objected. "I don't want to be left behind. I want to go with you!"

"That is because you do not understand and cannot imagine what lies ahead," Maglor said.

"Spare me, Uncle. I created the Three Rings that were untouched by the Dark Lord, and he flailed my skin and used it as a banner when I would not reveal their location," Celebrimbor said. "I swore no Oath, but I am no less valiant than the sons of Feanor."

"Let it be so. You shall go," Maedhros said.

"One more then," Caranthir said. "Who shall accompany us to storm the Dark Tower and open the road to the fire by the power that is within us?"

"Need he be an Elf?" Celegorm asked.

"Nay, we may choose from other free peoples of the world," Maglor said.

"Then I choose Huan the Hound." Celegorm grinned wickedly. "That should make the situation quite unfair."

"Now the tale of nine is filled. In seven days, the company shall depart," Maedhros said.

Curufin, no longer able to keep a straight face, fell over laughing. "We will be the Fellowship of the Ring."

"Yeah, once we pick up the Ring," Maglor said.

---

"Amrod and Amras told me that the sons of Feanor are forming a Fellowship of the Ring in a race to defeat the Dark Lord Sauron," Argon said. His hair bristled at the thought of being left out of fell combat. "Brother, surely we will not let this challenge go unmet!"

Fingon sighed. "Argon, count how many of us there are. Me, you, Turgon, and Aredhel. We are but four little hobbits. Where will you find the other five?"

"But Fingon, why not join with the children of Finarfin?" Aredhel suggested. "They number five, do they not?"

Turgon nodded. "An excellent idea."

"And so it is," Fingon said. He invited the children of Finarfin to join them in the Council that should have belonged to Elrond.

"You wish to create a fellowship of nine in order to pursue the sons of Feanor?" Finrod said with a raised eyebrow.

"Finrod! I suggested no such thing!" Fingon said. A hot flush turning his pointy ears red.

"We wish to destroy the One Ring and end the reign of Sauron," Turgon said. "We do not want to leave the glory to the sons of Feanor."

"Our brother alone could combat Sauron!" Aegnor said.

"And he would lose," Galadriel said calmly. "Sauron showed his mastery over Finrod before. But perhaps if we are with him, our brother will not fail."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Angrod drew his sword and chopped off a corner of the table. "Let us be off!"

"And we will have the advantage over the sons of Feanor," Aredhel said smugly. "Galadriel has the Ring of Water. They have no rings."

"Let us make haste then," Fingon said. "We, too, are a Fellowship of the Ring, and the legitimacy of our Fellowship is in speed, not in secrecy." The sword of Fingolfin, Ringil, was forged anew by Elvish smiths. On its blade was traced the device of seven stars set between the crescent moon and the rayed sun. Above this was the scarlet heart, the symbol of Fingolfin. About these emblems were written many runes. And Fingon gave it a new name and called it Anduril, Flame of the West.

---

"Did you hear that?" Glorfindel said indignantly. "Even if they chose an Elf-lord like me, I could not storm the Dark Tower or open the road to the Fire. I'll show them."

"Was it not you who first found the Ringbearer? And Asfaloth is no less swift than the horses of Valinor," Ecthelion said. "If I understand aright all that I have heard, I think that the task is appointed for you, Glorfindel, and that if you do not find a way, no one will. This is the hour of the Gondolindrim, when they arise from their quiet city to shake the towers and councils of the great. But it is a heavy burden. So heavy that none can lay it on another. I do not lay it on you. But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right."

Galdor burst forth. "Surely you will not send Lord Glorfindel off alone?"

"No, indeed, Galdor, for I intend to go with him," Ecthelion said.

"Then I shall be a third," said Galdor of the Tree. He drew his iron- studded club so that none would object. None did.

"You have my sword!" said Eglamoth of the Heavenly Arch. He drew his curved blade and held it to Galdor's club.

"And you have my bow!" Duilin of the Swallow declared.

"And my axe," said Penlod the Tall.

"And my mace." Rog of the Hammer of Wrath came to stand with the others.

"That makes seven," said Penlod the Tall, Lord of the Pillar and the Tower of Snow. "As always, it seems there are two that remain to be chosen."

"Salgant is a craven, and Maeglin is a traitor," Rog said.

"I appreciate all of your assistance, my friends," said Glorfindel, "but I am Lord of the Golden Flower, not King of Gondolin. We lack Turgon or even Tuor, for Tuor and Idril set sail with Voronwe for the West."

"Did Mithrandir not say once, long ago, that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to great friendship than to wisdom?" Ecthelion said with a smile. He put a hand on Glorfindel's shoulder. "We need no king, only friendship. There remain two more to be found. Of my household, I may find some that it seems good to me to send. Perhaps Elemmakil."

"And Legolas the Far-Seeing shall be the ninth," Galdor said.

Glorfindel looked about him and saw the eager faces of the Gondolindrim. He smiled brightly and drew his sword. It shone gold in the sunlight, a reflection from his golden armor. "Very well then. We shall be the Fellowship of Gondolin!"

"Of the Ring," Ecthelion amended. He drew his silver sword and neatly hooked Glorfindel's sword down to where Galdor's club, Eglamoth's curved sword, Duilin's bow, Penlod's axe, and Rog's mace were joined. He glanced at Elemmakil, who quickly drew his sword and joined its tip to that of his lord. Legolas was no less quick to put his bow atop the pile. "Try the cheer again, dear Glorfindel."

"We shall be the Fellowship of the Ring," Glorfindel said. "Now, to Mordor!"

---

"Are we to be left behind because we are not of the Elves of old?" Gil-galad said in a thoroughly vexed voice.

"Nay, my Lord, I will be by your side and beg for the honor of bearing your standard," Elrond said.

"And I will be beside my brother. We came into the world together, and we will meet the end together," said Elros. Unlike the First Age Elves, these Elves were more cautious of Sauron the Dark Lord.

"We will be with our father as well," said the twin sons of Elrond.

"If the other two pairs of Peredhil twins are going, we must go as well," Elured said to Elurin.

"Well, we may not be twins, but we're close enough in appearance, aren't we?" Elurin said. "Sounds like a grand adventure to me. Much better than being left out in the woods."

Gil-galad paused to try to understand what had just happened. "I'm sorry. Did six Elrond-looking Half-elves just offer to accompany me to Mordor?"

Elros looked about. "Hm, I suppose we do all look alike, don't we? I'm afraid we're just too close in kinship."

"That's hardly fair. I'm the oldest. Should it not be six Elured- looking Half-elves?" said Elured.

"Look at it this way, we'll confuse the enemy," Elladan said brightly.

"Oh yes. We'll call it the Attack of the Clones," Elrohir jested.

"Why are there always two remaining to be found?" Gil-galad groaned.

"I heard that the sons of Fingolfin and Finarfin had the same problem until they included their sisters," Elurin said. "A pity Elwing is not about. Nor is her husband. Or our company of nine would be filled."

"It was a rumor. My father would not forget his sister, and Galadriel is equally impossible to overlook," Gil-galad said.

"Arwen chose the path of Luthien or we might invite our sister," Elrohir said thoughtfully.

"It's fine. I'd rather stay out of your family for my remaining two party members," Gil-galad said. "Cirdan will come with us. He was present when I defeated Sauron the first time with Elendil's help. He can be present again."

"And I will be your ninth fellow," Gildor said.

"You?"

"I will not be left out of this battle against Sauron, and I will not leave this world until the Dark Lord is defeated." Gildor's eyes glinted. His hatred for the Dark Lord was well-known. It probably wasn't very healthy, for hatred was the instrument of the Dark Lord, but Gildor wouldn't be dissuaded from joining them. All could see that the Golden Prince had made up his mind.

Gil-galad sighed heavily. Six Elronds, one old Shipwright, and a Gildor to accompany him to the very fires of Orodruin. "Very well," Gil- galad said. "I suppose we have our Fellowship of the Ring."

---

Sam used the phial to pass the Two Watchers. The alarm sounded. "That's done it! Now I've rung the front doorbell," Sam said in dismay when he heard the alarm. "Well," he shouted, "come on somebody! Tell Captain Shagrat that the great Elf-warrior has called, with his elf-sword too!" There was no answer. There was nothing but dead Orcs everywhere.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment