What Brings Us Together by Aipilosse

| | |

Be Our Guest

Aredhel - Írissë
Maeglin - Lómion


Galadriel was glad of Gandalf’s presence, truly, but his calm expression just infuriated her further. She knew she should stop pacing, but if she stopped pacing she would do something rash, so she continued striding from wall to wall in the room she, Finrod, and Gandalf had commandeered.

“We must call on the Valar. I don’t know what he’s plotting, but this time at least I will not play his games.”

Finrod nodded. “Very wise.” He didn’t appear to be listening to her though.

“Yes, we should tell someone,” Gandalf said.

Galadriel whirled on him. “But?” She voiced the unspoken note.

Gandalf leaned towards her. “But how did he get here?”

“I don’t know, nor do I care.”

Gandalf raised a single bushy eyebrow.

“You have to admit the story he told is a strange one,” Finrod said.

“Because he’s lying. He’s done this countless times before; you cannot trust anything he says.” Galadriel couldn’t believe she had to explain this to her brother and Gandalf. If anyone should know how little Sauron could be trusted, it was these two.

“I do not think he was lying,” Gandalf said thoughtfully. He held up a hand, forestalling her protests. “Truly, think about what he said, what he did, and how long he’s been here in the form of Miaulë. Do you really think it is all false?”

Galadriel tried to give Gandalf’s question full consideration. Finally, she sighed, “I cannot completely put aside the thought that it may all be a lie.”

Finrod finally seemed to snap back to the present. “How much does it matter if he’s lying? Olórin is right; how did he get here?”

“How can you say that? Of course it matters if he came here with intent to deceive.”

“Peace, Galadriel. You are right, of course. It makes a great deal of difference.” Finrod looked at her closely. Galadriel could not meet his eyes. How unsettling it still is to be back among people who can see through me, she thought. It made a great deal of difference to her if Sauron came here meaning to trick them or not, and she did not want to think about the reasons why that question felt so personal.

“I do not feel easy with him walking about freely,” she said. The next words came reluctantly. “But I also share your questions.”

“I have often wondered where my fallen brothers and sisters went.” Gandalf’s voice was low. “I do not think it is possible to completely destroy what we are.”

“Could you not just ask the Valar?” Finrod asked. “You are held in high esteem.”

“I have asked. The answer was not satisfactory to me. Perhaps my perception is still clouded by this form.”

“You would not advise us to hide our guests from the Valar though?” Finrod said.

“No, no!” Gandalf paused. “But I also do not council haste.” Now Gandalf looked away from Galadriel.

 

“I also think that it would be prudent to share this news with the Valar with care,” Finrod said.

Galadriel had to laugh. “Once a rebel, always a rebel it seems.” She spread her hands. “I share your same reluctance to involve our guardians in something that we are more equipped to deal with if history is any guide. But I am not willing to put those I love in danger.”

“No, of course not,” Finrod said. “But, you must admit, he does not have the same aura as the creature I once knew as Gorthaur. The pattern is the same, but it is diminished.”

“I sense the same, but he broke through my spell so quickly.”

“And you are right to caution us against him,” Gandalf said. 

Galadriel sighed. “We return to the problem I thought I was solving: a certain amount of awareness needs to be present if any sort of accountability is to be demanded.”

Finrod looked at her with bemusement. “I did not realize that was the problem at hand.”

“I feel we must find a way for Sauron to remember who he is, but I am not blind to the danger of that endeavor,” Gandalf said.

“If he truly does not remember who he is, it seems to me that those memories could come back at any time. Thus, whether we try to stimulate the memories ourselves or not, we could run into the same dangerous situation.” The beginnings of a plan were beginning to form in Galadriel’s mind. She didn’t particularly like it.

Finrod looked between Galadriel and Gandalf. “If you both are certain of the decision to try to handle Sauron ourselves, I will not gainsay you, but we must get approval from the lady of the house. I do not know how she will feel about sheltering a dark lord, however enfeebled he seems now.”

“I think Nerdanel was more prepared to handle a dark lord than her husband. It seems like gross misfortune that both appeared at her house on the same day.” Galadriel frowned at the wall that separated them from the room that Sauron had been put in.

“Misfortune,” Gandalf said. “Or more likely fate. I thought the days of great deeds were past, and now I could retire to a peaceful existence. But it seems that excitement is seeking me out.”

Galadriel couldn’t help the smile that crept over her face. “Perhaps this is justice for all you put those poor hobbits through.”

Gandalf only harrumphed in reply.

~

Galadriel refused to knock. As far as she was concerned, Sauron was still their prisoner, and as such couldn’t be trusted with privacy.

Sauron sat on the bed, his fingers twisted in the sheets on either side; he straightened when they came in. He looked quickly between them as Galadriel, Finrod, and Gandalf walked in.

“Sauron,” Galadriel said crisply. “Have you remembered anything further?”

“No,” he answered. “I also have no memory of ever being called ‘Sauron.’” As he said the name his brows pinched together with distaste. 

“No matter,” said Galadriel. “We have decided you will be allowed to remain here with the Nerdanelië if you agree to try to regain your memories.”

“I agree,” Sauron said promptly.

Galadriel was slightly taken aback. “You don’t even know what it would entail.”

Sauron spread his hands helplessly. “I don’t care what it takes, I need to know my past. Maybe if I knew I could fix… things.” He looked away. “When I saw my new form, I thought everything would be better, but now it’s so much worse.”

“Do not look for pity from us,” Finrod warned. “You have caused me and my family immeasurable pain. We are only helping you regain your memories in order to understand where you came from and how you found us.”

“I also wish to know that.” Sauron pressed his lips together and made no further complaint.

In the ensuing silence Gandalf cleared his throat. “Since you agree to try to regain your memories with us, you should know what that will look like. We have tools that allow us to view the past. You will sit with one of us, for a few hours or maybe half the day, and we will access a portion of your former life. We hope that viewing your past self will trigger memories that are still buried in your mind.”

“What is this tool?” Sauron asked. He perked up slightly, a curious spark in his eyes.

Finrod frowned. “We have many methods of viewing the past, and it is not important for you to know the details.”

“We will begin tomorrow,” Galadriel said. “In the meantime, remain here. You are surrounded by wards. If you attempt to escape, you will be detected and caught. We will not be so lenient then.”

Sauron sniffed. “I will not attempt to escape.”

“Do not try to visit Celebrimbor,” Galadriel warned. “Stay away from him.”

A guilty look crept over Sauron’s face. “What if he comes to see me?”

“Then that’s different. But he will not.” With that she left the room.

~

“Are you sure you are comfortable with this?” Nerdanel asked. “One word, and I will call upon Aulë to take his wayward student.”

Celebrimbor sighed. He, Nerdanel, and Írissë stood in a room off the entrance of Ondomar. They were probably on their fifth round of ‘are you sures’. Next, he would reassure Nerdanel that he was fine with Annatar here, and then make sure that she was fine with housing an Umaia. Then she would say yes, you all seem to have it well managed, but Írissë, are you sure you are alright with Fëanaró staying with you? And then Írissë would say yes, it’s fine, but are you comfortable with me taking in Uncle Fëanaró? And then Nerdanel would say yes, better than letting him out into the wild, but Tyelpë, are you fine with Sauron staying here? 

“Yes, I have no issue with him staying here. I think Galadriel’s plan makes sense. But are you fine with him staying here?”

A soft ahem came from behind them. Finrod’s daughter Merillë widened her eyes innocently when the three of them turned to her. 

“It sounds to me like you’ve decided where everyone is staying.”

Írissë sighed. “Yes, I suppose we have decided.” She looked up sharply. “We’ve all decided we’re as comfortable with the arrangements as is possible considering,” she waved her hand vaguely, “everything. But what about the Valar? I could see some parties being less than understanding about our guest.” The word ‘guest’ dripped with sarcasm.

“Not here,” said Coroniel, one of the Nerdanlië. “Anyone, be they Elf, Maia, celestial body, or Manwë himself, would have to search with great intention if he wished to see the goings on here.” She spoke with utter confidence.

“I don’t remember anything like that from when we built Ondomar.” Celebrimbor frowned. 

“I don’t tell you everything,” Coroniel waved her hand vaguely in the air.

“You didn’t happen to bless Áremar in the same way, perchance?” Írissë asked.

“I wasn’t involved in any part of the building of Áremar, just some of the design choices afterwards, so I could not devise a similar shielding.” Coroniel said. 

“Ah, pity.”

“Do you mean to tell me, the entire time I’ve been here, there was no need to worry about anyone observing what I was doing?” Celebrimbor asked, a note of exasperation in his voice.

“Have you been worried about someone spying on you?” Nerdanel exclaimed. “Who would even care what you did?”

“Oh, plenty,” said Coroniel. “I don’t know who, but there are many beings who have tried to have some sort of look at Brim.”

“And you didn’t think to tell me that?” Now Celebrimbor was definitely exasperated.

“What would the purpose of that be? I knew they wouldn’t succeed.”

“You don’t think Sauron was one of those spies?” Írissë asked. “Not now obviously, but before—”

“I don’t think so,” Merillë said slowly.

“How would you know?” Coroniel spoke with surprise.

“This will sound silly to all you elders, but I have tried for years to find a way to connect with Middle-earth.” Coroniel’s eyebrows almost rose off her face as Merillë spoke. Celebrimbor’s surprise almost matched his friend’s.

Merillë spread her hands helplessly. “It’s just so fascinating, and forbidden, and it seemed such a shame that I would never see the wonders my father spoke of.”

“The wonders your father knew are all now drowned,” Celebrimbor pointed out.

“Yes, the exact places are gone, but the descendents and the things that touched Nargothrond of old are still around.” Merillë shook her head. “Anyway, I tried for years to contact Aunt Galadriel mentally to no avail.”

“I’m not sure that failure there means it’s not possible,” Celebrimbor said. “I would not expect such a thing to work even within the same land for two people who have never met, and one of whom doesn’t know the other exists.”

Merillë bit her lip. “I am very talented with osanwë. If it could be done, I think I could do it. But that’s not important — I knew the principle of close relationships before I started trying of course, and you are right: considering the distance and lack of a former bond, it was not surprising that this did not work. So, I decided to try with the closest bond there was: a marriage bond.”

Írissë raised an eyebrow. “What sundered spouses still exist where one is in Valinor and the other in Middle-earth?”

“Írimien,” Merillë said simply. Nerdanel inhaled sharply at the name of Maglor’s sundered spouse.

“She agreed?” Nerdanel asked,her voice tight.

“Yes, and I hope to never have to ask for something so awkward and personal ever again,” Merillë said fervently. “It took as much persuading as you would think.”

“And nothing?” asked Celebrimbor.

“Nothing,” Merillë confirmed. 

“But—”

Coroniel interrupted, “Merillë is very talented.”

“I know! I believe that she is very talented—”

“But perhaps the traumatic nature of Macalaurë and Írimien’s sundering stopped the attempted connection,” Merillë finished for him. “I appreciate your suspicion! I had no other option though, so I had to be content with those attempts. Of course, I tried again once Aunt Galadriel arrived. Even Galadriel and Celeborn, recently parted, and on as good of terms as two partners can be considering their differing desires, could not speak to each other using osanwë across the break in the world.” Merillë sat back with satisfaction.

Celebrimbor opened his mouth. “And I think it would be the same for the Maiar, based on my other studies and my experience with teachers, some of whom number among that folk, although unfortunately I could not attempt that exact experiment.” She tilted her head at him. “Of course, it seems that I could have tried, theoretically. Would you have agreed to such a thing?”

“No. That would have been a most unwise idea,” Celebrimbor said immediately. Coroniel just snorted. 

“Let’s be done with ‘what ifs,’” Írissë said firmly. “I think we know as much as we can, and it’s time for me at least to return to escort my guest to Áremar”

Nerdanel glanced in the direction of the courtyard, where Fëanor probably still stood, speaking with Maedhros. “I cannot believe he is content to be sent off to your home without seeing me.”

Írissë pressed her lips together. “He seems contrite, and fully aware that his return might not be an easy occasion for you.” She shook her head. “He only interrupted me once while we were speaking, and that was only to say he would wait at my halls as long I would have him.”

“Waiting for me.” Nerdanel turned to Írissë, her hands clenching. “And now I have saddled you with a guest as long as I am undecided. Perhaps that is reason enough to send him away — let his brothers deal with him.”

“But that’s not what you wish. I would do a great deal more for you than simply open my doors to my most difficult uncle! It is no hardship. Besides, Lómion would be outraged if I sent Fëanáro away without telling him.”

“Very well, I will let you leave. I am sure we will speak soon,” Nerdanel said with a sigh. “And now I will check for a third time that the wards set around our own guest are holding firm.”

“Brim, are you sure you don’t want to stay at Áremar?” Írissë asked. “You know I am always happy to have you — I haven’t even put anyone in your room yet.”

“No, I will be fine here.” Despite his words, Celebrimbor would probably check his own lock to his room several times, just in case. 

After Nerdanel and Írissë left, Celebrimbor sat down heavily at the table with Coroniel and Merillë.

“Are you really fine?” Coroniel asked. 

Celebrimbor rubbed his temples. “I suppose so. I’m not really sure how I feel.”

Coroniel sighed. “And here I thought we’d really developed a knack for dealing with someone’s murderer showing up. You always have to be a special case.”

“Exactly. That’s why this is so hard. I really thought I was exempt from this problem.”

Merillë delicately cleared her throat again. “Yes, I’m sure that’s the only reason you might find Sauron’s reappearance difficult.”

Celebrimbor glared at her. “I thought you were just studying logical design with Cori, not how to harass me as well.”

Coroniel looked at him reprovingly. “Merillë is very bright.” Merillë nodded, her colorful curls bouncing along.

“I’m sure she is.” Celebrimbor turned to address Merillë. “I’m sure you are. How are the lessons going?”

“Quite well. Maybe we can discuss my studies some other time when you don’t look like you’d rather be tearing your hair out.” Merillë softened her words with a smile.

“Perhaps.”

“Just, maybe add another set of locks and a few more wards?” Coroniel chewed on her lip.

“That’s the plan.” Not that he really thought a second lock would stop Annatar if he really wanted to get to him.

Coroniel seemed to have similar thoughts as her brow creased. “You know, in Ost-in-Edhil, he always knew where you were. Most of the time he was easier to find than you, and I would always seek him out if you’d vanished like you tended to do.”

“That makes me feel so much better.”

“You know, my house in Tol Eressëa is always open to you, whether I’m there or not.”

“I know, and I appreciate the offer, but I do feel in a way that it’s safer to be close. To know what’s happening.” 

“Have you seen Frodo?” Gandalf asked, peering into the room, Sam poking his head out from behind him.

“No, but Írissë and Nerdanel just left.”

“I’m sure he’ll be by in a minute,” Sam said as he pulled a stool over to them.

“He had best hurry if he’d like to actually speak with Fëanáro.” Gandalf stepped more fully into the room, but did not sit down.

“Why does Frodo need to speak to my grandfather?”

“It will be educational.” Gandalf glanced into the hallway again.

“So he says.” Sam climbed onto the stool, in no hurry to leave. “Now, Gandalf, there is one thing I’m wondering. I seem to recall asking you, while we were all in Gondor, whether Sauron was dead in truth, and you said something about him turning into a spirit of malice, chewing on itself in the darkness, but unable to become anything greater. Now, time will tell if things go badly from here, but the man I saw today did not seem like a spirit, and he did not especially malicious neither.”

Gandalf drew himself up. “And have I not also said, on multiple occasions, that even the wise cannot see all ends? Why you cannot recall that, but you can recall a single conversation we had over a century ago seems designed to test my patience.” He paused. “If you must know, I heard that information from Tyelperinquar.”

“Me!” While not the most absurd thing Celebrimbor had heard all day, being blamed for misinformation regarding Sauron was almost the last straw. “I’m quite certain I wouldn’t have told you that.”

“You did! If you recall, I paid you a visit before I left for Middle-earth. We spoke of many things, including the Rings of Power, and you told me that while the One existed, Sauron could never truly be removed.”

“Well, I may have said that, but—”

“And then you said, if the Ring were to be destroyed, he would never rise again, and would only be a restless fell spirit, unable to effect change in the world.”

“Ah.” Celebrimbor slumped onto one elbow. “Well, clearly I didn’t know what I was talking about.”

“No harm done, the advice was still sound in its essence. Ah, there’s Frodo. Come Samwise, I think we can still catch them.”

Sam shot Celebrimbor an apologetic look as he hopped off the stool. Celebrimbor decided he should leave as well; the thought of talking with anyone else today exhausted him.

“I’m sure I’ll see you both tomorrow,” he told Coroniel and Merillë.

“Let me know if you need anything,” Coroniel said. “I know what you mean about staying close, it’s just, you said that before.”

“I’m well aware.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment