Many Journeys by Elleth

| | |

Serendipity

Carnistir, and a simple way to restore peace between his parents.


He could move like a shadow, and Nerdanel used to say that his father had given the essë tercenyë this time, appropriate both for his looks and his skills. Morifinwë .

When he was young, he could move unseen into the pantry (a skill his brothers would have valued, had they known), and out again with gingerbread crumbs in his robes that itched as he sat at the table and tried to empty his plate.

He could creep out of the house to play when it rained, and came back dripping mud to his chamber door, and so was found out.

When he was older – when it had become necessary for all of them to move like shadows while their parents argued in the study – he could slip into their bedroom and place a single flower in the middle of their bed. No matter who was first to find it would believe the other had left this peace-offering. “They want to be so fooled,” he told his brothers in one of their councils, “even when they know there was no chance that either of them put it there.”

For a while it was possible to move openly again.


Chapter End Notes

serendipity ser-uhn-DIP-uh-tee, noun:
The faculty or phenomenon of making fortunate accidental discoveries.

(from www.dictionary.com)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment