Many Journeys by Elleth

| | |

Bibelot

Aulë, Fëanor and Nerdanel. A contest in three pieces of dialogue.


I

“Fëanáro challenged Aulë to a contest of skills.”

“So I have heard. He demanded a year's time, no earlier could his work be accomplished, he said, and then he disappeared. I think it is out of fear.”

“You underestimate him. He will not flee, nor seek help from any save perhaps his wife, young Nerdanel.”

“Then he really is as obstinate and proud as everyone says, at the risk of his honor.”

“There is little risk to that. There is no shame in being bested by a Vala.”
“But why speak up in the first place if he cannot win?”
“I did not say that. He is proud for one so young, but learned much, nor shared every secret he discovered. I think they will come to a truce.”
“We shall see.”

 

II

“A maker of bibelots and trinkets has he become, and dares attempt to teach me!”

“What angers you so, Fëanáro? The Lord Aulë has not lost his powers for his choice to put them to different uses now. Small things need not all be flawed or without worth. Grant me but a year to prove it.”

“I know, love. Your year you shall have.”

 

III

“I have come before you today, Lord, to present to you my work. A sphere of stone that, governed by one's thought, may see far-off and even speak with those who wield its brother-stones.

“Indeed an accomplishment worthy of great wonder and honor. Behold now my work, a mirror that shows not merely what is, but that which was and may yet be as history unfolds. - Now where is Lady Nerdanel?”

“Forgive my interruption, Lords. My daughter sent me to say that what she has brought into being mere hours ago is small, yet certainly no trinket. His name is Maitimo.”

 


Chapter End Notes

bibelot BEE-buh-loh, noun:
A small decorative object without practical utility; a trinket.

Bibelot is from French, from Old French beubelot, beubelet, "a small jewel, a trinket," from a reduplication of bel, "beautiful," from Latin bellus, "pretty, handsome." It is related to bauble.

(from www.dictionary.com)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment