Many Journeys by Elleth

| | |

Didactic

A lesson, not only for young Maedhros and Maglor.


"... the hosts of the Eldalië departed from Cuiviénen..."

The words faltered and failed when a younger voice, already stronger than the other, suddenly sped into wordless song. Images of a white horse and a magnificent rider burst into being, hovering in the air like butterflies. The room seemed to darken, stars burned where the high ceiling should be.

"Father!" Out of place and almost squawking with indignation, a cry broke through the spell. "Mother! I was telling the History! Make him stop?"

He waved his arms at the figures, who had now stopped in their paths and gazed up cruel mountains half-veiled with mist. Then ascent and descent and a wooded land. Some tarried and strayed.

"Mother! Make Macalaurë stop, please!"
The song went on, unperturbed. Nerdanel smiled. "Speak while he sings, Maitimo. Do you not see that together you can create more beauty than each of you alone? It is often thus. Alone, for all our crafts, neither your father nor I could have brought forth beauty like you and Macalaurë. Is it not right, then, especially being kin, that you should work together, too?"

"Mmmh... yes... thus after many long years the Teleri..."

But Nerdanel already looked to her husband.


Chapter End Notes

Maedhros's "History" is borrowed from the Silmarillion, Chapter III - Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor.

Maglor, even at that young age, is already a powerful singer, with "[...] the gift of elf-minstrels, who can make the things of which they sing appear before the eyes of those that listen." (The Return of the King, Appendix A: The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen).

- I really hope it isn't too far-fetched.


didactic dy-DAK-tik; duh-, adjective:
1. Fitted or intended to teach; conveying instruction; instructive; teaching some moral lesson; as, "didactic essays."
2. Inclined to teach or moralize excessively; moralistic.

Didactic comes from Greek didaktikos, "skillful in teaching," from didaktos, "taught," from didaskein, "to teach, to educate."

(from www.dictionary.com)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment