Many Journeys by Elleth

| | |

Heterodox

Mahtan's apprentices and gossip about certain young lovers.


"Have you heard? The Lord Aulë, he himself will visit with Master Mahtan!"

The apprentices had only been waiting for something to stir their tongues into action, and the forges and workshops of the Aulenduri were soon abuzz with rumors.

"The Lady Yavanna, too. I wonder what she seeks with Istarnië. That girl is more interested in metal and stone than growing things."

"Oh, but she made something grow. Istarnië has... dealings with the High Prince."
Startled laughter sounded.

"They are but children!"

"Still, it is high time for her to learn the making of coimas. Not yet fifty, and wedded without ceremony; for shame!"


Chapter End Notes

Coimas (Quenya) is the life-bread of the Eldar, more commonly known with its Sindarin name, lembas. Tolkien wrote in The Peoples of Middle-earth (HoMe Vol. 12) that "[s]ince it [coimas] came from Yavanna, the queen, or the highest among the elven-women of any people, great or small, had the keeping and the gift of lembas [...]" and "[...] the art of the making of the lembas, which [the maidens of Yavanna, or Yavannildi] learned of the Valar, was a secret among them and so ever has remained."

I do admit that Nerdanel learning the making of lembas is purely fanon, but with her marriage to Fëanor she would certainly be considered one of the higher-ranking women of the Noldor and thus be entitled to learn that secret.

 

Istarnië (Quenya - the wise) is a name Tolkien considered for Nerdanel, but then rejected. Because of its meaning and Nerdanel's subsequent connection to that, I have kept it as one of her names.

 


heterodox HET-uh-ruh-doks, adjective:
1. Contrary to or differing from some acknowledged standard, especially in church doctrine or dogma; unorthodox.
2. Holding unorthodox opinions or doctrines.

Heterodox comes from Greek heterodoxos, "of another opinion," from hetero-, "other" + doxa, "opinion," from dokein, "to believe."

(from www.dictionary.com)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment