Many Journeys by Elleth

| | |

Love Like Singing

Written for Maure on tumblr; strongly referencing the lovely birthday fic she wrote me. After Indis comforted Míriel, Míriel returns the favour.


Love, I find, is like singing.

- Zora Neale Hurston

 

"Peas in butter. Remember? Granted, I took them from your garden, but even that seems kinder than letting them spoil on the bush."

Míriel left the plate on the nightstand and settled in the wicker chair by the window, positioned just so that enough light fell through the crack in the curtain for her to work by. The needle in her hand flew, looping knots and threads on the length of yarn she had brought. Lace-making required attention, but blurred out of focus she could still see the piled-up blanket-nest on the bed shift, and soon enough a head of golden hair emerged before Indis sat up entirely and balanced the plate precariously on her knees. She ate like someone ravenous – most likely she was, having not emerged from her room for two days – and scooped up the butter from the plate with her finger, pausing only once with a sheepish look at Míriel.

"You must think me very foolish."

"Only insofar that a person with a limp may think another foolish for stumbling," Míriel said. Her focus returned to the needle lace, but she heard Indis set the plate aside, and the rustle of blankets pushed away before barefoot steps patted over the marble floor, and Indis’ bed-warm presence stood next to her; a hand resting lightly on her shoulder.

Míriel lifted her eyes. “I have nothing to offer you, nothing that comforts the way you did me, unless a length of lace will, but there is word on the street that Elemmírë has come to Tirion. She intends to perform tonight.”

"Tidings are not nothing,” said Indis, sitting on the floor to lean against Míriel’s legs. “And they become sweeter than they already are, coming from you.” Although not entirely rid of the tiredness, her voice began to pick up her usual cadence, and Míriel, putting her work aside, folded the warm fingers with her own.

"Shall we limp there together? We may make it in time yet."

After a moment’s deliberation, Indis nodded.


Chapter End Notes

Edited slightly to flow better. (Maure, if you're reading this - that anon was me. I figured it was fairly obvious to begin with, given the references, so I hope this didn't spoil anything for you.)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment