Kingdom of Flowers by daughterofshadows

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Book by its Cover challenge based on this prompt.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A short ficlet about Elrond and Celebrían in the gardens of Imladris and their hopes for the future.

Major Characters: Celebrían, Elrond

Major Relationships: Celebrían & Elrond

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, Fluff, General

Challenges: Book by Its Cover

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 524
Posted on 3 June 2021 Updated on 4 June 2021

This fanwork is complete.

Kingdom of Flowers

Set sometime in the year after the Siege of Imladris ended.

Read Kingdom of Flowers

The first time he laid eyes on the valley, there were no thoughts about buildings. Not yet.

He was only glad to have finally found a safe place for their forces to recuperate.

They were all so very tired.

 

But now, after the siege, after Gil-Galad’s and Numenor’s forces have finally managed to drive Sauron’s forces away, his thoughts turn to the future.

Gil-Galad has made him his vice-regent here Eriador and suggested Imladris as his seat, but Elrond feels deep in his bones that this valley is meant for more than just a stronghold against Sauron’s armies.

 

While Elrond wanders, buildings take shape in his mind. Halls for feasting and storytelling. A library. Space for many guests. Fountains in the gardens.

He halts.

One person has crept silently into all his dreams of the future.

Such importance had Lady Celebrían gained in his life that he often forgets she is not of his people and will return to her own home sooner or later.

 

He stumbles across her in the gardens. Or what hopefully will become gardens in the future.

At the moment, it might better be called an assortment of herbs, sparsely interrupted by small dots of colour where an especially brave flower has dared to bloom.

Lady Celebrían’s help has been invaluable in keeping their supplies well stocked, both here and with the grain they’ve started growing further down the valley.

Elrond kneels down in the dirt next to her where she is carefully planting sage and joins her quiet work. Soon he loses himself in the feeling of wet earth under his fingers and the repetitive motion of moving the small seedlings from their pots into the ground.

 

“My parents are planning to return home as soon as they have confirmation that the paths are clear”, Celebrían suddenly says, breaking the silence.

Elrond hums. “So I have heard. We are expecting the messengers to return within the fortnight. You must be relieved to finally go back, my lady.”

“As a matter of fact, I hoped you would grant me permission to stay.”

 

Elrond stares at her in disbelief. “You wish to stay? Here? There are barely any proper buildings so far! Only mud and tents. What do you see in it that calls you to remain?”

Celebrían stands and tugs him on to his feet, too.

“Come along, I would like to show you something.”

Elrond follows her without complaint. She comes to a halt at the edge of a platform overlooking the valley.

Below them the tent city is buzzing with activity and beyond that there are fields with the crop already high, and farm animals grazing on meadows sprawling with marigolds.

Celebrían takes his hand. “It’s not much yet, I know, but I also know that it has a beautiful potential to flourish. I know you can see it, too. I want to see this city grow into what I know it can be. A safe haven. A place of knowledge and learning. A home. And I want to build it with you.”


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.