Dancer of Numenor by Himring

| | |

Dancer of Numenor


The first time Lominzil was taken to the theatre by her parents, she saw Queen Vanimelde dance. She was quite young. Her memory in later years retained little of the plot, but a strong sense of movement and colour: a gracefully lifted hand, a sway of emerald skirt.

Her mother, in the following months, observed her enacting scenes from her history lessons and always, now, it was through expressive movement, rather than words.

‘I am being a gull,’ she would explain, ‘like Elwing.’ Or: ‘I am Luthien as a bat!’

Thus Lominzil’s talented feet were set on their future path.


Chapter End Notes

Lominzil has previously appeared as a minor character in the story "Send in the Clowns" and been mentioned in the associated drabble "A Daring Leap".

This drabble about her backstory supplies additional motivation for her choices in those stories, but I think it can be independently read as a fill for the challenge!

The Gnome Tome prompt actually is from a passage about the women of Numenor and I think it throws interesting new light on Queen Tar-Vanimelde, whose preference for dance gains a new context here. NoME shows dancing in Numenor as a performance that people would travel to see, even though theatres are not mentioned.

 

100 words in MS Word.

I have also incorporated the prompt "school subject - history" from a Tolkien Weekly challenge.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment