The Hunter's Horse by Himring

| | |

The Hunter's Horse


In the morning of the world, there was Nahar, prince and father of horses, whose coat shone white in sunlight and Treelight and silver at night or in the shadows. His hooves were golden and they were shod with gold. The beat of his hooves when Orome rode him in the hunt made the earth tremble and struck fire from the ground. At the noise of the onrush of Nahar, swifter than a storm wind, the Eldar stood in awe and foes and evil fled. Nahar was named for his great neigh, heard far off in the dark woods of Middle-earth.

And when our ship reached Valinor and Mithrandir at last led his trusted friend and companion Shadowfax, that great horse, ashore in Alqualonde, there was a greater horse there to meet him. Under the towering pale arch, the crowd that had gathered parted and Nahar himself appeared—and before Orome’s horse even Shadowfax seemed but a foal! Yet glad was the meeting of Nahar, forefather of the Mearas, with his descendant and their whinnying voices rang out together merrily on the harbourside of Alqualonde! All of us smiled to see the two together and Mithrandir laughed purely for joy!


Chapter End Notes

I apologize for Orome not really appearing in this piece, Narya!

I have written Orome with Nahar here in a drabble.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment