Playlists and Link Collections Are Coming!

Link Collections and Playlists Are Coming!

This year, we hope to significantly expand what fanworks we are able to host on our site. We are preparing to build the next two fanwork types: playlists and link collections, and we'd love to hear from you about what features you'd like to see our site offer for these fanworks!

Playlists are collections of songs selected around a fannish theme. Currently, we are planning to offer the following fields when you post a playlist fanwork:

  • Link(s) to a completed playlist (i.e., set up on Spotify or YouTube)
  • Links to individual songs with a notes field for each song. The notes field allows unlimited text with formatting.
  • Audio genre selection; if you choose "Music" as your genre, you will be able to select a music genre as well.
  • Album cover art.

Links collections are exactly what they sound like! They can be used for myriad purposes—rec lists, collections of resources and references, collections of images and music for mood or inspiration—and will allow links within and outside the SWG. Currently, we are planning to offer the following fields when you post a link collection:

  • Link, link title, and link description fields. The link description field allows unlimited text with formatting.
  • Link collection genre selection (e.g., rec list, research, inspiration).

Both the playlists and link collections will have access to the fields available to all fanworks: title, co-creator, language, summary, fanwork notes, character, relationship, rating, warnings, challenge, and completion status.

Is there something you'd like to see offered for playlists and link collections that we don't have on our list yet? Comment below or leave a comment on our Dreamwidth. If you're on our Discord, the #town-hall channel is currently discussing playlists and link collections and welcomes feedback there as well.


Posted on 23 April 2022 (updated 14 May 2022) by Dawn Felagund