The Nargothrond Cordial by jamcake_muses

| | |

The Nargothrond Cordial

Don't try this at home, kids!


The winters in Beleriand are harsh. The cold borrows into the bones and only departs with the coming the first spring dawn. My cousin, Curufin was kind enough to attempt to brew the famous Formenos Warmer. It is hard to recreate the exact recipe since many of the essential herbs do not grow in Beleriand. It was certainly not…perfect. Celegorm and I are told we had an impossible and reckless adventure after drinking the Warmer which landed us in the healing rooms for a few weeks.

It would take more than that to discourage us. I am pleased to tell you, after many attempts, I have recreated a brew, relatively harmless but a potent warmer, when weakly brewed.

In our many attempts to perfect it, we have discovered many uses for the tonic when brewed to various strengths. From personal and rather disastrous experiences, I would only recommend the weaker brews for regular use.

The mildest form of the brew which is the recipe I have written below, serves as a warming tonic. At its strongest the effects are quite formidable. It allows one to perform feats otherwise impossible, and frankly a danger to oneself. I caution against consuming anything stronger than this recipe except under dire circumstances, like for whatever reason, you need to fight wolves five times your size with your bare hands.

The recipe is vegan, gluten, soy, and nut-free.

The Nargothrond Cordial
Prep time: 20 minutes | Brewing time: 30 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes

Servings: 2
(Note: Doubling the amount of the ingredients will not yield more servings and will affect the strength of the brew)  

Ingredients:

  • 250 ml of strongly brewed tea
  • 100 ml of brandy
  • 8 grams of juniper berries
  • 2 pods of raw cocoa, finely chopped *
  • 22 grams of ephedra seeds *
  • 2-3 tyuclamia leaves, crushed (not chopped) *
  • 7 grams of dried wood rose
  • 60 grams of honey (for sweetening)
  • Lemon wedge for garnish

Instructions:

  1. In a cauldron, bring the tea to boil and add the brandy. Let it simmer for about 4 minutes.
  2. Add the honey, raw cocoa and stir until smooth.
  3. Add the tyuclamia leaves, dried wood rose, and juniper berries and let it simmer for 6 minutes with constant stirring.
  4. Finally, stir in the ephedra juice and let it simmer for 2o minutes.
  5. Strain the brew, pour into cups. Garnish with lemon and enjoy.

*See appendix for origin, properties, growth and care details for these plants.

Note: For stronger brews, vary the amounts of dried wood rose, tyuclamia, and ephedra, and let it simmer for longer. Add a splash of milk to dilute the strength. Water does not effect the strength.


Chapter End Notes

tyuclamia - is my clumsy attempt to say "chewing leaves", equivalent to Khat leaves.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment