Finding Lost Family by chrissystriped

| | |

Chapter Ten


Ecthelion sat at one of the high burning fires and ate grilled venison with his fingers. He hadn’t been sure, if it was a good idea to leave Dolthan but he knew the elf would only blame himself for keeping him from this party, he also had agreed a few days ago to meet Cesanar and had come back more calm.

Ecthelion listened to the singing of a group of elves who had decided that this feast had too little of it. Orcs, it had turned out, didn’t sing much, they mostly played percussion music and they were a little shy about performing before them. His gaze came to rest on Sharû who talked with Garam and Silwen, he was too far away to hear them above the music. Ecthelion smiled when he saw Sharû laugh at something. He looked happy.

“Did you bring your flute?”, Gil called to make himself heard above the talking and the music.

Ecthelion patted his bag, making sure not to touch it with his greasy fingers.

“Of course.”

They often made music at evening in the camp and whenever he found the time he went there. When he was asked, he played. He had acquired a repertoire of melodies that weren’t as classical as what he was used to – like the songs the musicians were playing right now. The sindarin and avarin influence among the Angband-Elves was audible. Songs to be sung together, not concert music, no long intricate poems told by one person. Solidarity, community, what they needed so much.

“I’ll miss this once the houses are finished. I don’t suppose we’ll be sitting around one fire in the evenings then”, Gil said a little wistfully.

“One would need to...” Ecthelion stopped before saying too much and promising something he couldn’t keep. “I have an idea, but I’ll have to talk to my mother about it. It’s her house, I can’t fall upon her with you all.”

“Ooh!” Gil’s eyes glinted. “That sounds like you have a plan.”

Ecthelion shrugged. “We’ll see.”

He took another sip of the strong beer the orcs brewed and stood up.

“Before I’m too drunk to play properly, let’s see if the people want to listen to me.” He winked at Gil.

“May I relieve you?”, he asked the musicians once they’d ended their current song.

“Of course you can!” They grinned at him.

 

Sharû watched enchanted as Ecthelion played his flute. He had started slowly but then picked up speed and now his fingers were flitting over the finger holes of the instrument. Some elves had started to dance, matching his speed and the others were clapping in time. Eventually Ecthelion gave up with a laugh. He was breathing quickly and a bead of sweat ran down his temple.

Sharû caught himself imagining to lick it off his skin, to hold him and feel his breath against his chest. For a moment he allowed the thoughts, but then Ecthelion looked at him and smiled and he pushed it away. Ecthelion was his friend and he surely wouldn’t like being the protagonist of his sexual fantasies. He came over and grinned at him and the smell of his sweat made it even harder for Sharû to force his thoughts into save terrain.

“Are you having fun?”

“I’m the host, I don’t have time for fun”, Sharû answered laughing. “I like to hear you play. But I suppose you are often told that.”

Ecthelion laughed. “I have a certain fame, yes, but I’m still glad to hear that you like it. Do you have another beer for me?”

“Did we convert the wine drinker? My brewers will be elated!”

“Ah, I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s not bad at all.”

Ecthelion accepted the full glass and licked after a first sip the foam from his upper lip. Sharû’s thoughts were turning indecent again.

“Thank you for the invitation. I think we can call this a success.”

“I... think so, too”, Sharû stammered, his thoughts still dwelling on Ecthelion’s tongue and where he’d have liked to feel it.

Luckily his friend didn’t seem to have noticed anything. He really needed to do something to get these thoughts out of his mind or he’d risk their friendship!

 

Ecthelion smiled at his mother, who stood up from the couch to meet him.

“How was the party?” She kissed his cheek.

“Great. Wild. I had a lot of fun. How is Dolthan?”

Ecthelion sat down with her.

“His wife has been here every day, I think they’ll be fine. I talked with her. She says, if she’d known what’s the matter, she’d never let him work in the shop, but they’ve always taken turns, she didn’t imagine it could be a problem. She says, yesterday he showed her the first new sketch he made since they met again, he only redid old designs before. I think that’s a good sign.”

“Sounds like it, yes. That’s good.” Ecthelion breathed a sigh of relief.

“Have you seen their works?”, Nivwen continued. “Beautiful reverse glass paintings. I intend to buy some of their works and promote them a little.”

“That would certainly be appreciated. Can I ask something else of you, amme?” The idea hadn’t left his mind since the party. “But tell me no, if you feel uncomfortable with it. You are doing so much for us already.”

Nivwen squeezed his hand. “What is it, son?”

“My people like to make music together at evening, but now that all the houses are going to be finished in the near future, there maybe won’t be a place for it. Sure, there’ll be an inn or two but things are still going to change. I wondered, if I could use the ballroom once a month for a gathering. I want them to have a place where they can meet and make music together. And maybe it also will help to get rid of this barrier between me and them. I could imagine that it would be easier to ask me for help, if they are already here, most shy away from knocking on our door.”

People usually approached him when he was in the camp. Ecthelion wanted to make it as easy as possible for them.

Nivwen laughed. “You want to host musical evenings? The parties you had in the past tended to be much more inappropriate.”

“It’s not going to be what you understand by that.” Ecthelion winked at her. “Our music is a little... unusual.”

“Can I be there? I’d like to listen.”

“Of course. So you are saying yes?”

“Did you doubt it?” Nivwen kissed his cheek again. “It’s a nice idea.” She hesitated. “Are those orcs going to come, too?”

Ecthelion could see that she tried to keep any judgement out of her voice.

“Not all at once and I think they’d be hesitant. I wouldn’t want to shut them out, but if you...”

Nivwen shook her head. “I know that Sharû is your friend. I just...” She shrugged. “I guess, I can’t understand it.”

Ecthelion smiled sadly. “You are not the only one. At least you aren’t telling me, it’s impossible. Maybe there’ll be an opportunity for you and Sharû to meet in the future. I think, you’d like him.”

“Maybe, yes. He has to be a decent guy, if this is working.”

“He is.” Ecthelion looked away because he didn’t trust his face to not show his feelings. He didn’t want his mother to notice how much Sharû meant to him. “Thank you for letting me have the room.” He licked his lips. “There’s something else, I wanted to discuss. You are doing so much for us, things that help my people a lot – and you are providing my income. I don’t want you to think I’d want to take away something from you, but if you’d like my help with the management of the property... I’ll soon have more time on my hands and I think, I should do something for my income.”

“That’s nice of you, Ecthelion. But it’s not necessary. I’ve done this alone for quite some time.”

“I know, and I didn’t want to insinuate that you can’t do it, but...”

“I know you didn’t mean it that way. I like that work." Nivwen shrugged with a smile. "I had to learn it out of necessity, but it grew on me and I don’t want to give it away. I’m actually quite proud of it.”

Ecthelion smiled at her. “I’m sure you can be, I get the feeling that we are well off.”

“We are. Take care of your people, see to it that people like Dolthan aren’t overlooked and you more than deserve your income.”

Ecthelion leaned his cheek on her shoulder, his heart brimming over with love for her.

“Thank you, amme. You are the best.”

 

~*~*~

 

“Still doubts about their intentions, brother?”, Sharû asked Zak during a short break in their work. They were currently digging cellars for the new houses. He offered his brother a waterskin which Zak took gratefully.

“No, but you have to admit that it was natural to doubt.”

“Maybe.” Sharû leaned his head back and let his face be warmed by the sun. He’d come to enjoy her light. “But I was sure that Ecthelion has good intentions.”

Zak huffed. “You and that elf... you’re constantly in his company since we are working here. Is there something going on with you two?”

Sharû looked sharply at him. If even Zak noticed it...

“Nonsense!”, he snapped. “You don’t believe that one of them would voluntarily have sex with one of us!”

Saying it hurt a lot more than he’d thought, as if it made the fact more real.

“But you are interested.” Zak leered at him.

“Does it matter if it won’t lead to anything? He is my friend and that is the best thing that has happened to me – and us all, I want to mention – for a long time. Stop asking these questions!”

Zak lifted his hands placatingly. “Sorry. Since when are you so sensitive? I just wanted to tease you a little.”

Sharû rubbed his forehead. Zak’s remarks had hit too close to home.

“I didn’t want to snap at you. I just have so much on my mind and desire for Ecthelion doesn’t suit my plans even if no one is teasing me.”

Zak patted his shoulder. “Maybe you just need a holiday, big brother. Once we are finished here you should visit Estel. Don’t tell Ithrû,” he scanned their surroundings exaggeratedly, “but it is really nice there.”

“I thought he dragged you there against your wish?”

“He did and he still owes me one for it, that’s why I say: Don’t tell him I said this. But I stayed because I liked it there. The forest is somehow different – different from anything I’ve seen before – it feels so... alive. At first that made me nervous, but once you get used to it it’s... invigorating. And his wife’s family are alright, too. Visit them, take a break.”

“But once we are finished here, we wanted to build our own houses. Maiwe...”

“Oh, come on!”, Zak interrupted him. “That’s almost settled, let your captains deal with it.”

Sharû took a sip from his skin. Yes, maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take a break. He'd promised Estel to visit him a while ago – and it might be good to not see Ecthelion for a few weeks. He needed to stop desiring him.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment