Finding Lost Family by chrissystriped

| | |

Chapter Twenty


Rog hadn’t bothered to change into formal clothes, he wore leather in green and brown that would allow him to vanish in the woods, his arms were bare and covered in maenais. Ecthelion knew he’d have sneered at that in the past and that Rog might be trying to provoke him, but as he didn’t mind now, he didn’t comment on it, just shook his hand in greeting.

“I got your letter”, he said brusquely, Rog had never had much time for polite pleasantries.

“My... oh!” It had been years since he’d written Rog about the arrangement they had with the orcs about taking revenge. He’d supposed Rog was simply not interested, when he hadn’t gotten any reaction from him.

“I’m notoriously hard to find”, Rog said with a shrug. “Only got it a short while back. It went through a few hands.”

“I didn’t know how else to reach you”, Ecthelion admitted. He had given it to Estel who’s family had contact with some elves who lived deeper in the forest. “Come, take a seat.”

He offered him wine and Rog accepted with a nod. “I was surprised that you thought it necessary to tell me about that”, he said and leaned back in his armchair.

“I think you have a right to know and decide what you want.” Ecthelion looked earnestly at him. “You might not have an interest in being part of our community and that’s okay, too, but you were a slave like us and this arrangement goes for all of us.”

“I’m not interested in taking revenge like that”, Rog said. Ecthelion’s surprise must have shown clearly, because he continued: “You didn’t expect that, did you?”

“Well, I had you down as a vindictive person”, Ecthelion admitted blushing. “But I suppose you already took your revenge back then.”

Rog smiled dangerously. “Did your orc tell you about that?”

“He isn’t my orc”, Ecthelion mumbled.

“I’ve heard otherwise. Anyway, if he remembers me, I reached my goal. And what I want is a fistfight with your lover.”

Ecthelion stared at him. “A fistfight?”

Rog nodded curtly. “I want to brawl with him, I don’t want him to pull his punches. I have my reasons.”

Ecthelion had always found it hard to understand Rog’s mind, but if that was what he wanted... “I’ll write Sharû and ask him to come. Please, be my guest until then.”

Rog hesitated for a long moment, and if it had been anyone else Ecthelion would have felt slightly insulted, then he nodded. “I’ll gladly accept, Ecthelion. Can I ask what he told you about me?”

Ecthelion shrugged. “He was appalled to hear it was you. He told me that orcs you managed to catch alone met an... unpleasant end and that there was a high price on your head.” Ecthelion would have liked to ask after his true name but they had never been close enough that he felt he had the right to ask. “And that it was said you were killed eventually.”

“Yes, I can imagine that it sounded better than saying they couldn’t find me." Rog huffed. "But I admit they cornered me at last. That was when you came over the ice and Fingolfin’s horns could be heard in the Iron Mountains. That’s why I came to you, to fight. I didn’t like it at all to find myself in a secret city with no way out.”

Ecthelion smiled wryly. “Believe me, it was a surprise for us all. Turgon only told the people he needed to build it.”

“Is he back? I think I should pay my compliments if he is.”

Ecthelion shook his head. “Not yet. You probably know better than I how Mandos decides when someone is reborn.”

“Not really. Mandos is an enigma. We’ll have to be patient.” Rog shrugged.

 

Sharû dodged the elf’s right hook, threw his arms around him and tackled him to the ground. At first he had made the mistake of holding back, he didn’t want to hurt the elf, but that had only earned him a black eye. The elf fell on his back with a breathless sound as the air was pushed from his lungs.

Sharû had hoped he’d be able to overpower him when the elf couldn’t play out his greater swiftness, but a moment later he found himself on his back in turn, the elf’s hands around his throat – and he wasn’t even sure how that had happened. He tried frantically to ply the elf’s hands away but he was in the weaker position. Sharû gasped for air, black dots started to dance in his vision. He reared up, but the elf didn’t budge.

He hated to give up but the elf had him. He slapped the floor tree times and hoped the elf would keep to their agreement. Sharû took deep breaths that hurt in his throat when the elf stood up. His swollen eye pulsed and his bruised knuckles burned – he had gotten in a few good hits, too. The elf wiped his bleeding nose and to Sharû’s surprise offered him his hand to help him to his feet.

“Thank you for the fight, Sharû.”

Sharû bowed his head. “It’s an honour, my Lord.”

The elf huffed a laugh. “I’m no Lord, although I held that title for a while. I’m Rog.” Sharû shivered at the name and the elf gave him an unsettling smile. “It feels good to know that I earned a lasting reputation among your kind.”

“You did indeed, Rog.”

“Can I ask you why you wanted this fight, Rog?”, Ecthelion asked who had watched them and was now offering them water to wash and ointment for their scrapes.

Rog’s gaze became absent, he washed his bloody hands slowly and threw an appraising look at Sharû.

“Born or made?”, he asked.

“B...born”, Sharû stuttered surprised. Elves rarely thought to ask that.

“Thought so”, Rog mumbled. “You know, Ecthelion, when I was there, they still made orcs. They forced us to fight orcs. If we lost, we were starved and tortured, but those who won... the strongest...” Sharû saw Rog shudder and knew what had happened to these elves – he could see by Ecthelion’s horrified expression that he knew too. “I didn’t try to win these fights, although it meant suffering. I knew I’d only suffer more, if I won. I was just curious, if I could win a fair fight against someon like Sharû. That’s all.”

“My father was one of the First”, Sharû surprised himself saying. “Made, as you call it, and two of my surviving men are too.”

Rog nodded, his eyes flit between him and Ecthelion. “I never wondered... because you were enemies and I couldn’t think about it... did they remember?”

Sharû licked his lips, not sure how much he should tell him. But then, he'd been there, he'd seen people turned, maybe friends. He shouldn't leave him in the dark.

“Hard to say. It certainly wasn’t desired. My father didn’t talk about it and I don’t really know how much he remembered. But my comrades’ memories are getting better since we’ve come here, because they are allowed to remember now, you see?”

Rog nodded slowly. “Ecthelion”, he said then. “When I saw you protecting orcs, I thought you were mad and I don’t think I’ll ever be relaxed, let alone comfortable in their presence – no offence, Sharû – but I knew elves who were turned to orcs and maybe the idea that... in a way orcs can become elves again isn’t that farfetched on further reflection.”

Ecthelion looked very happy when he said: “I’m glad you can see it that way.”

Sharû nodded in silent agreement. Rog shook their hands and his grip was firm and warm.

“I’ll leave now", he said. Ecthelion opened his mouth but Rog didn’t let him speak. “No, Ecthelion, I’ve been too long in this city already. Thank you for letting me be your guest – you are alright and that was a pleasant surprise – but I belong to the forest and it draws me there again.”

Ecthelion bowed his head. “As you wish, Rog. But please, if you ever feel like it, come visiting, you don’t have to announce yourself.”

“I might. In fifty years or so.” Rog winked at them. “Farewell!”

 

~*~*~

 

After the ceremonial part of the festivities at the rehousing of Fingolfin, where Arafinwe and Fingolfin had proclaimed that they would rule together from now on, Fingolfin remaining the prince of the former Exiles, Glorfindel and Ecthelion stood together with a glass of wine and watched the celebrating nobles. Glorfindel suddenly laughed.

“It’s strange, isn’t it. We’ve stood in this place so often and in the past each of us would already have found his prey. But no longer, hm?”

Ecthelion grinned. “True. I already hunted down my preferred prey.” He waved a little at Sharû who stood with a few people Nivwen had introduced him to, linguists, if he wasn’t mistaken. His friends shoulders were tense, but he didn’t look like he needed rescuing. Ecthelion had been happy to come here with him, Sharû had gotten his own invitation, he was a leader, after all, and he’d thought it impossible to decline without insulting the two finwes. Glorfindel had followed his gaze.

“How did your father take it?”

“Truthfully?" Ecthelion huffed. "I’m not sure. He’s making an effort to understand where I stand with my people – he still has that misconception that we are all under Morgoth’s influence somehow. He didn’t make a scene when he found out about Sharû and he’s not tried to dissuade me, but I don’t think he trusts him.”

Ecthelion sighed. In the past, he’d often fought with his father, but now he found he wanted him on his side.

“It's serious with him, isn’t it?”

“With Sharû?” Ecthelion nodded. “As serious as I never was about this with anyone before.”

Glorfindel had greeted Sharû politely, but that was Glorfindel, it didn’t say anything about his thoughts.

“I know you hold against him, what he did to Mablung, but...”

Glorfindel shook his head. “I won’t say it doesn’t matter, it does, but I believe that he is repentant if you and yours do. And you are right. It’s not my right to take revenge in Mablung’s stead, I have to leave that to himself. I hope you’ll forgive me, if I can’t be completely relaxed with him, though.”

“I know how hard this is for you", Ecthelion touched his arm comfortingly, "and you are much more tolerant than...”

“What is the orc doing here?”, Egalmoth asked as if his words had summoned him.

“That’s what I mean”, Ecthelion mumbled and Glorfindel hid a grin in his glass. “Arafinwe invited him, as leader of his people.”

Egalmoth stared at him with open mouth. “Come again?”

“Get used to it, Egalmoth." Ecthelion narrowed his eyes. "The orcs are a part of the population of Aman now.”

“I know you don’t want to hear that, Ecthelion, but your friend is a sleeping predator. Sooner or later he’ll wake and what then?” Egalmoth looked at Glorfindel asking for help. “You have to see that!”

Glorfindel shrugged silently and Ecthelion shook his head. “That’s bullshit, Egalmoth.”

“He growled at me and showed his teeth!”

“Because you provoked him!” Ecthelion hid his grin. The look on Egalmoth’s face at the occasion had been priceless. “You insulted him and called him stupid. You wouldn’t have said that if he were an elf.”

“Precisely. He is not an elf! He’s an unnatural thing that plays at being an elf. And you are only on his side because you fancy him – for whatever reason.” Egalmoth eyed Sharû with a mixture of revulsion and dislike.

“Do you impute dishonest motives to me, Egalmoth?” Ecthelion smiled sweetly, but his eyes were steely.

“Of course not”, Egalmoth answered quickly, realising he’d gone too far.

“Good. Then I suggest you refrain from saying things like that. I’m not the only one who made friends with them.”

“Just because some people do it, doesn’t mean it is right”, Egalmoth muttered and departed to find other discussion partners.

Glorfindel had listened silently. “I admit, if I didn’t know how much you trust them, I would think like Egalmoth.”

“I know.” Ecthelion smiled wryly. “If they hadn’t saved my life and I didn’t know them so well, I’d probably be suspicious, too, but I know them. And Sharû has a kind heart.”

Glorfindel squeezed his shoulder. “I believe you. Do you never grow tired of it? Saying that again and again?”

Ecthelion shook his head. “I’ll say it as long as it takes to make the most stubborn elf understand. The same way as I’ll repeat again and again that we Angband-Elves are not weak, the we aren’t ‘tainted’, until the last elf stops thinking that.” He knew that there always would be people who couldn’t be convinced but ‘good enough’ was not his goal. Glorfindel smiled gently at him.

“You’ve become idealistic. Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course.”

Glorfindel looked nervous and Ecthelion wondered what would come now.

“What would you say if I told you that I want to go back to Middle-earth?”

Ecthelion started at him, speechless.

“Why? And is that even possible?”, he finally stuttered.

“Why shouldn’t it be?" Glorfindel shrugged. "Many elves visit Númenor and I’m sure I’ll be able to catch a ship to the east from there. Elrond, Earendil’s son is still there and Morgoth’s servant is stirring again, if one can believe the reports that come from Númenor. I want to help Gil-galad and Elrond.”

“And Mablung has nothing to do with this?” Ecthelion raised his eyebrows. He knew that Mo had told Glorfindel that he didn’t know anything about where he’d went, but that Mablung had left Angband alive before it fell. Glorfindel shrugged.

“If I have the opportunity to inquire about him, I will, but no, I don’t want to go back to find him. I swore to Turgon that I’d protect his family and I don’t intend to stop.”

“Do you want me to tell that to Legolas when he leaves Mandos?” He knew that was a low blow, but he didn’t want to lose Glorfindel again. “And what do Arafinwe and the Valar say to your plan?”

Glorfindel’s eyes narrowed. “Legolas will understand and Arafinwe says, I should fulfil my oath, if the Valar permit it. I'm still waiting for an audience with Manwe.”

“I don’t like that you want to leave”, Ecthelion admitted. It was so good to have Glorfindel back. “Alone.”

Glorfindel smiled wryly. “You are welcome to come with me.” He became serious again. “Ecthelion, you have a task here. You have people who look at you as their leader and who need your support. But I... I don’t want to sit around her while they need help in Middle-earth. I need something to do and I won’t find that here.”

“Maybe you are right, maybe I’d be restless, too.” Ecthelion sighed."I just don't want to lose my best friend again."

“I won’t go against the Valar’s wishes.” Glorfindel chuckled. “And we all know how long they can take to decide anything.”

Ecthelion laughed. “Well, yes. I wish you luck, although I’ll miss you very much.” He embraced him and Glorfindel patted his back.

“I’ll miss you, too, Ecthelion, but it’s not happening yet. Will you tell Legolas that I love him and intend to come back to him, should he be rehoused only after I’ve left?”

“Of course.” Ecthelion kissed his cheek. “Take care of yourself. A second stay in Mandos is surely not desirable.”

Glorfindel smiled. “I’m a soldier, I go back to fight. I experienced death once, I respect Namo but I don’t fear to meet him in Mandos again.”

“If you say so." Ecthelion was unconvinced, but he didn't say it. "You have that experience over me. Still, be careful, when the time comes.”

He almost hoped that the Valar would deny him his wish, although he didn’t believe it. There was no reason, objectively, why Glorfindel shouldn’t go back, although obviously no one had thought that any elf could want that.

 

“Can I talk to you for a moment?”, Telemnar asked him when they arrived home.

“Of course.” Ecthelion added to Sharû: “I’ll be with you soon.”

Telemnar led him to his study and poured them liquor.

“You are not drunk”, he stated and Ecthelion laughed.

“No, I usually am not. I found, I like it better to have my wits about me.” He sipped on the very good liquor, smooth and tasting of honey.

“I want you to know how proud I am of you”, Telemnar said solemnly and Ecthelion looked at him with surprise.

“You are?”

Telemnar nodded. “Arafinwe thinks very highly of you and they way you take responsibility for your people is admirable. I also talked about the Angband-Elves with many people and I’ve come to realise that those, who sneer at you, don’t do so because they are wary that you might still be under Morgoth’s influence, but because they despise you for your experiences in Angband. I hope you know that’s not where I’m coming from.”

Ecthelion bowed his head. He was relieved that his father was saying that.

“That’s good to hear. Some elves think us tainted for our experience, I’d hate to hear you think the same.”

“I don’t and I’m beginning to think it was foolish of me to think they still should be mistrusted. Angband has fallen, Morgoth is a prisoner, you are free and the people you introduced to me are – as you said – normal elves. I wanted you to know this. You’ve become a great man and your people can be glad to have you.”

“Thank you, father." Ecthelion felt himself blush. His father had always been sparing of praise and he knew he meant what he said. "It makes me happy to hear it, especially how you feel about my people.”

Telemnar took his empty glass from him. “Now, I won’t keep you from your... lover any longer. Good night, Ecthelion.”

“Good night, father.” Ecthelion smiled at him and left for Sharû and his bed. This conversation with his father made him hopeful that he would warm to Sharû, too, given time.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment