The Book of Short Tales by Lyra

| | |

B2MeM '11 - March 17 - Strange Gifts

Written for the B2MeM challenge for Bree: Write a story or poem in which the exchange of gifts is featured, or use "gifting" as a theme for a piece of art.

Maedhros finds Caranthir's secret. On gifts material and immaterial - love, memory, absence, and the infamous Gift of Men.


Strange Gifts

Caranthir watched with a frown while Maedhros carried two glasses across the room, balancing them precariously on the palm of his hand.
"You could have asked for help," Caranthir said reproachfully.
"I could have," Maedhros agreed. "Here, take one." He managed to set the other glass down on the table without spilling any of the pale yellowish liquid it contained.
Caranthir swirled the contents of his own glass around, frowning. "So what is this? Looks like piss."
Maedhros' lip quirked briefly. "You wound me, little brother. Do you think I would serve you piss? This is birch wine."
"Tree piss, then. So you've given up trying to grow grapes here?"
"Decades ago. It was a waste of efforts and resources. And despite the unfortunate colour, birch wine is perfectly palatable. Cheers."
Each took a sip. Caranthir smacked his lips. "Too sweet for my taste. But it could be worse."
Maedhros smiled. "Indeed. I take it you have different brews in Thargelion?"
"Mostly imports from Ossiriand. And I personally like the ale of the Naugrim."
His older brother raised an eyebrow at that, but did not voice his thoughts on the brew of the Naugrim; instead, he said, "You seem to get on well with your neighbours."
"I believe I do. Better than I get on with most of our own kind, actually." Caranthir took another sip of wine.
"Yes, I thought you would," Maedhros said. "I always felt that the Naugrim were more likely to appreciate... hm... direct communication."
"Just so."

Maedhros studied his brother for a while. They had not seen each other in person in a rather long time. Of course, they were all busy with their own provinces these days, which all came with their own share of troubles and responsibilities. They spoke regularly enough via the Palantíri, but personal contact had become rare. So maybe it was not surprising that Caranthir seemed changed. No doubt they all had changed, even now. Still...
"That is an interesting pendant you're wearing," he observed. "I don't think I've ever seen something like it."
"I'd be surprised if you had. It was a gift from... one of my neighbours."
The brief hesitation, and the circumscription that followed it, was so untypical for Caranthir that Maedhros blinked. "Indeed? May I see it?" Was he mistaken, or had Caranthir's cheeks taken on a darker than usual hue?
Caranthir stared at him for a moment, his eyes dark, almost angry. Eventually he said, "Only if you promise not to comment on the inferiority of the design to our works, or anything of the sort."
Maedhros smiled. "I am not a good enough craftsman to presume judging the work of others," he said. "I am merely a curious big brother."
Caranthir snorted, but he slipped the leather thong from which the pendant hung over his head, holding it out to Maedhros. "Very well." With another very grim look, he added, "Don't abuse my trust."
Maedhros blinked again. This certainly was serious! Instead of replying, he took his time while studying the pendant. It appeared to be carved from bone and had been polished to perfect smoothness. It wasn't entirely clear what the artist had meant to depict: the intertwined waves, crowned by an uneven oval, might be a stylised couple embracing, or something else entirely, or nothing in particular. Either way, it was pleasing to the eye as well as to the touch.
When he looked away from the pendant, Maedhros realised that Caranthir's intent stare had not left his face. He gave a smile, hoping to reassure his brother. "I assume Curufin might find some fault with this if he meant to, but I certainly can't. It's strange, but in a very pretty way." He returned the necklace to Caranthir, who slipped it back over his head, carressing the carved pendant with his left hand as he did so. Maedhros paused, wondering whether he dared to pry further. Eventually he decided to do.
"The friend who gave it to you means much to you, hm?"
Carnistir's eyes took on a bright gleam that Maedhros had never seen in them before – the passionate glow that had often lit their father's eyes. At first he did not reply, but then he burst out, with feeling: "The world."
Maedhros smiled at his enthusiasm. "I am happy for you. Will you tell me more?"
"You'll disapprove."
Eyebrows raised, Maedhros said, "I know better than to approve or disapprove of other people's relationships. That would be... somewhat hypocritical, don't you think?"
"I guess so."
"So... will you honour me with more information?" Maedhros asked after a moment's silence.

Caranthir bit his lips; finally he shrugged. "Her name," he said, his eyes flashing bright again, "is Haleth."
"Haleth," Maedhros repeated, smiling. "A Sindië?"
"No. A mortal."
"Oh, Moryo..."
"I know, I know. Entirely unsuitable." Caranthir rose abruptly as if to flee.
Maedhros rose as well, holding his hand out in a gesture of appeasement. "Oh Moryo, that is not what I meant," he said. "If you love her, she is clearly suitable. I just – I mean – if she is mortal..."
"I know," Caranthir said harshly. Maedhros walked closer, slowly, and reached out. When Caranthir did nothing to avoid his hand, he squeezed his shoulder, reassuringly.
"I am sorry, brother. I truly did not mean to criticise your choice. I am surprised – of course I am. But I do not disapprove. I am merely worried about you." He smiled tentatively. "Tell me more about her, if you wish."
Caranthir sank back into the chair and took a swig of his wine. Maedhros likewise returned to his seat, watching his younger brother.
"She is the leader of her people," Caranthir finally said, avoiding Maedhros' eyes. "She had a brother, but he was killed by the Orks. She does a better job than he, anyway." Now he looked up with a lopsided smile. "I came to offer help to her people, and they were afraid of me, I think. But not she. She glared at me and told me I'd better not waste her time." He smiled broadly at the memory. "You cannot imagine the scene! My warriors and I on horseback, still armed from battle, and all around us those cowering mortals in their drab garb, and this small woman stands there and tells me not to waste her time." His smile was infectious; Maedhros could not help but grin in return.
"Of course, I was so taken aback that I didn't know what to say, except, 'I don't mean to'. I probably should have been angry – but I couldn't. So I listened while she gave a summary of goods and services that her people might need to recover swiftly. And then I returned home and saw it done." Caranthir shook his head as if doubting his own story. "I think I fell in love with her that very moment, although I did not realise it until much later, of course. In many ways, she reminded me of Mother. No great beauty at first glance, but oh, such strength! And smart she is, too." He sobered, and his eyes lost their gleam. "They only stayed for a year. I helped her people recover only to lose her – she wanted to lead them away, to greater safety. I have not heard from her since." He gritted his teeth.
Maedhros grimaced. "I am so sorry."
Caranthir snorted. "I am glad that she's gone," he spat out, making his brother blink. Then he emptied his glass, staring angrily at the empty vessel. Silence fell.

"Because... she is no longer tempting you?" Maedhros said softly.
Caranthir laughed without mirth. "Hah! No. I would give in to that temptation happily." He shook his head again. "No. I am glad because I will not have to witness her fate." He leaned forward, wringing his hands. "I will love her forever. With any luck, I can pretend that she will forever live. She was young and strong when we met – she still is young – but she will age, as all mortals do, and no doubt she will die. Soon. But if I don't see her grow old and weak, and if I never see her dead body – that is almost as if she will forever stay as young as she is now." He sniffed angrily, and glared at Maedhros, daring his brother to contradict him.
"And she will be, in your memory," Maedhros said instead. He felt cold, and he felt sorry or Caranthir. Even love, it seemed, would not grant them unshadowed joy.
"Yes," Caranthir said. "So I am glad that she left before she could be claimed by age. Or desaster." He let out a slow breath. "That is what I keep telling myself," he said. "But oh, I miss her! Sometimes I am tempted to ride out and find her again. But it would never end well. So it is better that I believe what I told you."
Maedhros nodded, refilling their glasses.
"Very reasonable. But I am nonetheless sorry for your loss."
"Thank you."
"I note you are no longer wearing your star pendant. I assume you gave it to her?"
Caranthir took up his glass again, but instead of drinking, he merely stared at the wine. "I did. I hope she will remember me for-- for as long as she lives." He shrugged. "At any rate, I can tell myself that she will, right? I don't know what happens. Maybe she falls in love with one of her own people – maybe she already did! Maybe she will throw my gift away. But I will never know. In my memory, she'll always be my true love." He looked at Maedhros again, and now his eyes were bright with suppressed tears.
"She will be," Maedhros affirmed. "Forever."


Chapter End Notes

I wanted to write an entirely different story centered on Haleth and Caranthir, based on an entirely different prompt. It was supposed to be less cheesy and more scathing, too. Instead, you get this piece of bittersweet fluff. Maybe the other thing will be written later.
At least I finally managed to write some Haleth/Caranthir. Yay!


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment