Going to War by chrissystriped

| | |

Fanwork Notes

warning: past torture/rape/non-con

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Eonwe leaves to fight in the War of Wrath, hoping he'll be able to take vengeance for what Sauron did to Reviahûn. Reviahûn just hopes he'll come back home safely.

Major Characters: Original Male Character(s), Eönwë, Sauron

Major Relationships: Eönwë/Original Character

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 382
Posted on 26 July 2021 Updated on 7 September 2022

This fanwork is complete.

Going to War

Read Going to War

Reviahûn walked around the tower’s balcony, around and around, not noticing the view across the plains and woods of Aman, the mountains, the sea. He was worried. Since the messenger had arrived — carrying a Silmaril — he was worried. The Valar were currently debating, they’d been debating for days. What would they do?

He did not wish them to kill the messenger for breaking their ban, but… if they’d decide to go to war, Eonwe would go, leading the armies against Morgoth’s fortress. He knew he wouldn’t be able to hold himself together, if something happened to his beloved. He heard steps behind him and turned around to see Eonwe step out of one of the rooms leading to the balcony.

“Have they decided?”

Eonwe nodded, his face was so serious he almost looked stern.

“We are going to war”, he said. “Earendil convinced them that they can’t continue to let Melkor have his way, no matter what the Noldor did. I promise you, I’m going to find Sauron and make him pay for what he did to you!”

Reviahûn shivered and wrapped his arms around himself.

“No”, he whispered. “Please, just promise you’ll stay save, that’s more important for me than revenge. If your fana were to die and you’d lose yourself… I can’t lose you, Eonwe, I need you!”

Eonwe stepped closer, embracing him. He manifested wings and wrapped them around Reviahûn. Reviahûn leaned into him.

“Don’t worry”, Eonwe said softly, his lips moving against Reviahûn’s forehead. “I’m the Ainu most accomplished in fighting with weapons, none of Morgoth’s is going to touch me. And he could never stand up to me. He might know how to make weapons, but he never was good with them.”

Reviahûn shivered at the reminder that Eonwe and Sauron had been friends, when the latter had still been Artano Aulendil.

“He won’t fight fair”, he argued. “And he’s better forming the world with song than you.”

“No real fight is fair”, Eonwe answered. “But if it makes you feel better, I promise, I won’t actively seek him out.”

“Thank you", Reviahûn said relieved.

It didn’t calm all his fears, but he did feel better that he didn’t have to imagine Eonwe looking for a fight with Sauron.

 

Eonwe looked down on the Maia kneeling before him, his sword at his throat. He’d kept his promise, but in the end Sauron had come to him — and he didn’t want a fight.

“I can’t do that”, he said in answer to his plea for absolution. “I cannot judge my own kind. Come with me and submit yourself to the justice of the Valar.”

And I hope they will make you suffer for what you did to Reviahûn, he thought.

He wanted to beat him, give him a small piece of the pain he’d caused his beloved, but he held himself back. It would have been different in battle, but Sauron had come to him as a supplicant and he could not judge his own kind. Sauron looked at him, contemplating.

“No”, he said and was gone, a huge bat quickly fluttering away.

Eonwe cursed, changing into a sparrowhawk and trying to follow him, but Sauron had too much of a headstart, he couldn’t find him again. Fuming Eonwe flew back to were he’d left his armour as he changed shape. He was an idiot. He should have made sure he had a tight hold on him! Now he was gone and Eonwe was sure that no one would be able to find him again.

But maybe it was for the best. He thought of how Reviahûn would have felt if they’d brought Sauron back to Aman. Facing him again… Eonwe shook his head as he dressed and donned his armour as well as he could alone, carrying the pieces he couldn’t attach himself back to the camp. He would have to think about how to tell Reviahûn about it all to not reopen the scars on his soul.

 

After Eonwe had dismissed the troops. Reviahûn fell into his arms and hugged him tight.

“You are back!”, he sang. “I’m so relieved you’re back and unharmed.”

Eonwe smiled and stroked his hair. “I missed you, my song”, he answered and gave him a gentle kiss.

Reviahûn readily opened his mouth to him and Eonwe felt his body react. They needed to find a more private place than the plain before Valimar for this.

“Let’s fly home”, he said, grudgingly breaking the kiss.

Reviahûn nodded and squeezed his hand. “Yes, quickly.”

They changed into birds of prey and raced up the mountain to Reviahûn’s rooms. Eonwe landed first and caught Reviahûn in his arms. They kissed again, Reviahûn moulding himself against his form. Eonwe let his fingers comb through his beloved’s hair. Reviahûn moaned into his mouth. They fell down on the bed and Eonwe reached for the oil, Reviahûn had very considerately put on the nightstand.

 

“I have to tell you something.”

Reviahûn tensed. He was lying in Eonwe’s arms, feeling warm and satisfied. Eonwe sounded so serious, he knew something was wrong.

“What?”, he whispered, his voice trembling.

“I did as you asked, I didn’t seek him out, but I encountered him. I had a chance of taking him captive, but he slipped through my fingers. I’m sorry. He could have been brought to justice. I failed. I failed you.”

Reviahûn took a slow deep breath. “You didn’t fail me”, he said around the lump in his throat. He’d have felt much better, if Sauron could have been locked away — but on the other hand he was glad that he didn’t have to face him. “You came back to me and that is the most important thing for me.”

Reviahûn snuggled into Eonwe and wished, he’d wrap his wing around him. Eonwe smiled and unfolded his wing.

“As you wish”, he said softly.

Reviahûn sighed and leaned into the soft feathers. He always felt so safe when he was held like this. “Thank you and… if you don’t mind, I don’t want to talk about Sauron anymore.”

Eonwe nodded. “That’s alright. I just didn’t want to keep this from you.”

Reviahûn kissed him. “And thank you for that, but… I’m glad it’s over and I don’t want to dwell on it.”

“Understandable.” Eonwe gently stroked his back. “I’ll not mention him again, but… the elves we freed brought some orcs with them.”

“What?”

Reviahûn stared at him, more baffled than scared. He’d had some bad experiences with orcs, but what Sauron had done overshadowed everything else.

“They insist that these orcs went against their orders to kill them and helped them to flee from Angband instead. They say they helped them with extra food.” Eonwe shook his head. “I don’t really understand it, but they are very firm about giving them a second chance. The Valar haven’t decided yet, the orcs are confined to Tol Eressea for now, so you won’t have to meet them.”

Reviahûn nodded slowly. “Is there a… a register of some sort of the elves who were freed?”

“I don’t know, but I can ask their leader. You searching for someone?”

“Yes.”

Reviahûn had made sure to find out when people he’d known in the mines were reborn and help them to get comfortable in their new life on a continent they’d never been to. But there was still someone missing. Mablung was not dead, he knew that. If he was among the returned elves, he wanted to find him.

“I’ll ask him.”

“Thank you.” Reviahûn stretched to kiss Eonwe’s cheek. “But not today. Today I just want to savour that you are back with me, my song.”

Eonwe smiled and held him as the sun sank and the moon rose and their Music mingled in a happy melody.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

chrissystriped has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.