To See Our Enemy Coming by Himring

| | |

To See Our Enemy Coming


Cirdan had been expecting messengers from Nargothrond, but not these.

‘Edhellos! Lady, what a surprise and a pleasure! I have not seen you in far too long.’

Indeed, he had not seen her since before the loss of Dorthonion and Angrod’s death, although messages had passed between them.

Edhellos shrugged, smiling a little too brightly.

‘I heard a messenger was needed and we took a chance to escape the halls of stone! I wished to see you!’

Most of her small following also were from Dorthonion, Cirdan realized.

Edhellos continued soberly: ‘I also have a request. But it can wait.’

Edhellos did not make her request, until she had delivered Finrod’s messages to Cirdan, and they were alone.

‘Cirdan, give me leave to dwell in Barad Nimras. Your people would surely be happily employed elsewhere?’

She saw his uneasy look.

‘No, I will not be staring west, fruitlessly spying for a far-off shore! It is a guard tower! And we would be your watchers.

But we hail from the mountains and moorlands of Dorthonion. We would feel easier looking down from on high than under hills, in Nargothrond—because when the Enemy next comes, we want to see them coming!’
 


Chapter End Notes

Originally posted to the tolkien100 community on LiveJournal, 2020-06-20.

Written for the following tolkien100 prompts: halls of stone, looking down from on high, spying a far off shore, take a chance, the watchers.

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment