Sparks by Independence1776

| | |

Inferno

The Third Kinslaying. Rated Teens.

Many thanks to Elleth for the beta.

The Elrond POV section has been modified from the original double drabble I wrote for B2MeM 2009.


I looked at my councilors, and then down at the politely-worded letter on my desk. “I cannot give the sons of Fëanor the Silmaril. Not after what they did at Doriath. They forfeited all right to it.” I sighed. “Furthermore, the Silmaril itself has blessed this place. I would harm my people by removing it.”

“They will come,” Aeglir said.

“Then we shall prepare! Have every household pack evacuation bags and have them practise escaping. Send out scouts and build defenses. We will not be taken by surprise, nor will we be vulnerable. This is my word until Eärendil returns.”

* * * * *

I stared at the letter. “Is Elwing mad? Does she not remember Doriath?”

Maedhros sighed. “Maglor, have they not driven all of us mad? The desire to have one no matter the consequences… Father was right to keep them locked up.”

“That's beside the point. She knows what we are capable of, yet she refuses to prevent the blood of her people-- of the rest of her family-- from being spilled simply because--”

“We killed hers. Is it not similar to why we went after Morgoth?”

I groaned. “But she isn’t planning to attack us. Just to defend herself and her people.” I pointed at the map Amras had brought into the room and spread across the table. “But the mouths of the Sirion are nigh indefensible. It is folly to think that she can hold us off.”

Amras said, “It will take months for their preparations to be completed. If we wish to attack with the least amount of trouble, it needs to be soon.”

No one said anything for a little while, staring at the stone markers on the map. I finally said, “We will send out scouts. We need more information than what our messenger brought back.”

* * * * *

Mother looked at us and then down at the brilliant jewel she held. After fastening the necklace around her neck and hiding it under her dress, she knelt, drew us into a hug, and kissed each of us on the top of our heads.

She released us, standing up, and led us outside, into the smoke and confusion, with people trying to run and others defending themselves, heading to the dock. I heard metal clanging against metal, people shouting, flames crackling, and squeezed Elros' hand tighter. When we neared the quay, Mother looked over her shoulder, let go of my hand, and directed us to hide in a nearby tangle of ropes and nets. We did so, and then saw her run to the end of the empty dock. Someone with red hair rushed past our hiding space, followed by someone with black hair carrying a bloody sword. Elros gripped my arm even tighter than I had squeezed his hand. But we couldn't help but cry out when Mother jumped. The Elf with black hair spun around, sheathing his sword when he spotted us. He walked to us, kneeling down, but swiftly moving aside to show us a white bird flying away from us with the Silmaril. Elros let out a tiny gasp.

Softly, the Elf said, “Look-- your mother lives still. But you have no one to take care of you now. Will you come with me?”

I looked at Elros, and then back at the man. And then at the bird flying away. Mother. She… she had left us. And there was no one else; we couldn’t live on our own. I finally stood up and helped Elros untangle himself. The strange Elf knelt down and we eventually let him embrace us, despite the blood on his armor.

* * * * *

I stared at the twins sleeping on Amrod's bedroll, curled together under a thin blanket Maglor had found for them. The sounds of the camp settling down for the night, the wind rustling in the trees-- none of it helped my mood.

Not only had we lost the Silmaril, we had lost Amrod and Amras. The only thing that helped was knowing they died defending each other.

It was such a pointless waste of life.

Maglor settled next to me on the ground, and I poked at the dying fire with a stick. He said, “What now?”

“I don't know.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment