The Bard's lost scrolls by Rhapsody

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For Keiliss, who wanted to see what I would write for these prompts.

 

Thank you Wenont, who patiently edited the pieces (and her hands itched to see these works unedited and she couldn't resist) as I put them online.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For B2MEM2012 I wrote many pieces for two Maglor in History Cards, per request of Keiliss. Join me on a travel through time to see how he would have viewed events that were prompted on these two bingo cards.

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Experimental, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: B2MeM 2012

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 4 Word Count: 925
Posted on 13 April 2012 Updated on 13 April 2012

This fanwork is a work in progress.

The evening consultation

Written for the Bingo card prompt N43, four word drabble: smith, consonance, cradle, mantle and Maglor in History 1: Galileo and heliocentrism. 400 words drabble.

Read The evening consultation

 

"Oh! I just wish I did not have to stand all night to make my studies, Marco. Surely,  we can do something about this? Were you not a smithy's son?" Pushing aside the curtains, Galileo Galilei emerged.

Maglor looked up from his friend's essay, ruminating about the mathematical question his friend had asked his opinion about. Their eyes met and Maglor wondered what his father would have thought of this famed scientist, with his endless observations and inquiries. "Galileo, I am not certain why you ask me this. Am I not to find the consonance in this mathematical puzzle of yours?"

"All those numbers and equations what not. Nothing more." The astronomer gestured a wave in the air as he responded faced him. "Your brilliant mind gives me deeper insights than my students, Marco. Yet, once you told me of your parents. Was your brother not also a mighty smith?" With a deep sigh, Maglor rose to stretch his hands above his head. "Of certainty, he could have crafted a cradle to hold your telescope and, perhaps, he could also have designed a more effective mantle." He finished his stretch and yawned, turned a weary gaze to his friend. "My renowned father would have immediately grasped this opportunity, as would my brother. Alas, both are no longer amongst us and smithing is not my calling." Maglor gazed thoughtfully at his friend, who gave him a small smile over his shoulder as he paused his study of the heavens. He nodded in response then added, "As you well know, my musical instruments do quite well, with the exception of a mathematical puzzle here and there. My advice to you... do call upon Luca. He is a fine smith."

"That he is. Slow at his craft, too. Surely, you will not?" Galileo tried one last time with a sigh, turned away from his friend and lifted his telescope to gaze upon the sky once more.

"Nay my friend, I will not." Maglor turned his gaze to the table and fingered one of the optics. "I do well to make my own instruments, yes, but not devices like these." The elf picked up one of his friend's instruments, described to him as a retractable telescope. "For this, you deserve the best. Bueno sera, my friend." And with that, Maglor placed the telescope back on the table and took his leave for the evening.

 


Chapter End Notes

Maglor in history, my verse goes by the name of Marco Fea Nata. Just in case anyone was wondering.

 

Thank you Himring for finding that language whoopsie that made me laugh so hard! You're the best :)

The convenient solution

Marco Fean Ata, courtier at the court of Conrad IV of Germany, is assigned to find a convenient solution to put a halt to the Mongol invasion of what we now know as Europe.

A true drabble written for the Bingo Card Maglor in History 1 prompt O72: Mongol Invasion

Read The convenient solution

 

Durazzo, February 1242

Dominus Conrad,

I am sending you confirmation regarding the successful assassination of Ögedei Khan, son of Ghengis Khan on December the 11th of the year 1241. As per strict instruction, I recruited a young maid whose task in the winery proved to be an easy weapon against this barbarian. I negotiated for a good marriage and dowry for her, in turn for her silence unto death. No knowledge shall be brought forth about the Khan's demise. I will share the details during a private audience in Vienna, my dominus willing.

At your service,
Marco Fean Ata

 


Chapter End Notes

Conrad IV of Germany (25 April 1228 - 21 May 1254) was King of the Romans (May 1237 - 21 May 1254, formerly the Holy Roman Empire), and was King of Jerusalem (as of birth, 25 April 1228 - 21 May 1254), when the Mongolian invasions threatened his Kingdoms and other realms. Given his connection to Jerusalem, and being the closest to the Mongolian threat, my muse thought it would be a good idea to have this young King hire a secretive Italian assassin, Marco Fean Ata, our Maglor.

 

Ögedei Khan died during a drinking bout (according to Encyclopædia Britannica) on December the 11th 1241). The Khan had previously had granted permission to invade the remainder of Europe, all the way to the "Great Sea," the Atlantic Ocean, and only his death prevented the possible invasions of Austria, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain, and the remaining small European principalities. Indeed, Mongol forces were moving on Vienna, launching a fierce winter campaign against Austria and Germany, in the first wave, into Western Europe when Ögedei died. Thusly, our elf's meddling and completion of his task prevented the downfall of Western Europe.

The Tidal Wave

Maglor was not the elf to run away from danger, until that morning when he ignored an omnious rumble...

Written for the Bingo card Maglor in History 1: the fall of Númenor. A double drabble.

Read The Tidal Wave

 

That rumble... Where had he heard that before? And why had he not taken precautions once he heard the sudden quiet of nature, holding its breath as if something had awed it into silence. Uinen's wrath, this piece was not that important. Twice he had experienced it and twice he survived. Albeit, just barely. She was a fierce force of nature, claiming lands and life as it suited her whim.

He peered out the window and looked over the Bay of Belfalas, and worry turned into fright. From this shelter, high up in the mountains, he espied from afar impending danger. This was not a tidal wave caused by an average sea-quake.

This was far worse.

His heart raced while he quickly gathered his most priced belongings. In his blind panic, he could not find his instrument at first until he tripped over it. There would not be much time left. The wave started to build, taking with it ships and sea-life, lifting it higher and higher as if the Maia had enough of her toys. All he could do now was run for his life, higher up into the Ras Morthil, hoping it was not too late to survive.

 

The Sun King's legacy

Maglor, as Marco Fean Ata and courtier, reflects on the end of an era after King Louis XIV of France has passed.

This was supposed to be a double drabble written for the Maglor in History 2 card prompt B4: Baroque period. But you know.. pesky muses and such.

Read The Sun King's legacy

 

The autumn sun has set and he, Louis Dieudonné de Bourbon, is no more. I neither loved nor feared him, for that I have seen too much over the ages with different rulers and others in power.

For so long did he rule his country, bringing it to its knees in poverty and despair. His palace, probably his final legacy, mirrors all that we wish to remember, and shows that which we would rather hide. The good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly.

Was he mad or just power hungry? Was he hiding uncertainty behind his golden mask, had himself crowned as the Sun King, not wanting to ever live in poverty?

"J'aimais trop la guerre," he finally uttered before his feä was summoned. Did he love war too much? Or was it the cold addiction to war, the adrenaline rush to conquer and the satisfaction to subdue? We shall never know for certain.

The courtyard is silent and the hall of mirrors reflects no sound and images. I wonder how many have packed to flee from this place, after having lived here for many years. All imprisoned in this golden cage by the King's demand. All that remains are memories, scattered like ashes on the wind, perhaps to be regaled by those he once protected.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.